Torque Cars

Considering an Engine swap on my 406

Discussion in '405/406/407/408 forums' started by Reshan, 1 May 2009.

1. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    You know the old saying mate. "Where there's a will there's a way".

2. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    Intercoolers on the bonnet lid perhaps?

Those V6 motors are enormous despite being of all alloy construction. Perhaps our man should send an EMail to Mr Jobling at Pug1Off in Brackley. He's the master of the engine transplant ops. He is, of course, completely bonkers. You'd 'ave to be to fit a pair of V6s in 306!

3. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    I've seen the one your talking about. Complete with Nitrous too. I like it lots :bigsmile::bigsmile:

4. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    It is a monster of a car. It only runs on one engine on the road and the nitrous is disabled, both for legal reasons.

It is, however, very very noisy and very very uncomfortable.

Matt Jobling has driven it to Dover and across France on occasions for a couple of meets.

I admire him; I couldn't cope with that. I'd have to put the thing on a trailer and tow it.

He's worth knowing though, a veritable fountain of knowledge.

5. Reshan

Reshan Full member

Car:
    Peugeot 406 HDi
    ya.....
    heard that the V6 also are monsters...
    but can you tell me more about MR Jobling.....
    perhaps he can help me...

and ya comparing the V6 to the 2.2HDi one....
    the Hdi one consumes less fuel... :D

6. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    The diesel will certainly use less fuel. performance wise the 2.2 HDi with a remap is more than a match for a standard petrol V6.

Matthew Jobling can be contacted via http://www.pug1off.com

or on +44 1280 701919

7. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Now this is something I can't understand. Maybe it's why I like petrol I dunno? But why would you be even thinking about Mpg if you want a better performing engine? Don't get me wrong I know the 2.2 Hdi is a good engine as my friend HDi keeps reminding me.;)
    But if your after performance out of an engine you shouldn't be worried about Mpg in my opinion.

8. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    But the HDi with a map (which is very cost effective) is quicker than the V6 anyway. And look at the cost of changing the whole car to accomodate a petrol engine.

If V6 is the way the go and buy one outright.

I have tried this, ie. racing the V6 against my 2.2 HDi and the diesel actually made quicker progress.

When I talk about midrange I don't just mean at 30-40 mph. It pulls very hard indeed in fourth so you can play around on twisty A roads comfortably leaving one bend at 40mph and having to brake down from over 90 for the next one you're approaching.

The V6 would have to be screamed in second from 40-60, then snatch third and even then probably do little more than keep pace.

Let's also add this:

turbonutter says that if you're interested in performance then you shouldn't worry about MPG.

How about this: If you're interested in performance then you shouldn't worry about the type of fuel!

Last edited: 8 May 2009
  9. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Buddy thats not the point i'm trying to make. I mean if you wanted to change the engine for more performance then why would you be worried about fuel consumption? It doesn't make sense. It's like going and buying an Brabus or something and expecting it to be great on fuel.

10. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    If you're interested in performance then why worry about the type of fuel you fill the tank with?

11. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    No thats still not what i'm on about buddy. Regardly of fuel type. Why if your want more performance would you be worrying about fuel consumtion? I just don't get it?

12. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    If you read my posts over the last 24 months or so you'll see that I repeatedly state that you shouldn't buy a diesel car for economy alone. Nor should you buy petrol and disregard diesel if performance is your goal.

So what is your point?

13. MasterAuron

MasterAuron Very Senior Member

379bhp 359lbft
    Car:
    Mk1 Focus RS
    Aaawwww man, I freakin' love the TN and HDi show! More popcorn!

14. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    It's a good 'un.

TN69 and myself (HDi) actually get on very well indeed.

It's not staged at all but both know where each other is likely to present their next post, statement, or protest. And that's the making of a good show.

15. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    All i'm saying I don't understand why reeshan is wanting a better performing engine but still worried about MPG. I don't get it. I'm not saying anything about which fuel to use I just don't get why you would want performance out of an engine but still be thinking about economy.

16. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    I can see what he's thinking. No point in having a fast car if you can't afford to drive it anywhere quickly.

The goal is not either to get the fuel consumption as high as possible regardless of whether or not you can go any faster as a result

17. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    i think the same the TN. i want decent economy going up and down the motorway going to work etc but some fun when the times right - back roads when im on my own.
    theats the beauty of the turbo i get decent economy on the mway 37-39 on a long journry when i dont care about the performance of the car as long as it can sit at a speed and hold it.

18. Reshan

Reshan Full member

Car:
    Peugeot 406 HDi
    ya totally agree wid u pgarner....
    because am not a fan of racing as such but still I do want to feel speed as it should..getting what i mean...
    anyways about the HDi Vs V6....

means...
    HDi = Economy + Performance
    V6 = Performance....

Well am not judging anyone here...
    but still just wanted a swap because i personally think that the 2.0HDi actually present on my pug is lazy......
    but still you gat me on the way right to the HDi 2.2 or the V6 one....
    in previous posts you've said the diesel to petrol swap is much of a bigger budget compaired to the diesel to diesel swap because of the fuel pump etc....

Well.....
    actually, the thing is that I already have a 2.2HDi engine present, and one last advice give me precise details about the engine, because I think will consider this one itself......and please don't go off topic..:D:D:p:D:D

19. jarrus

jarrus Pro Tuner

West Midlands, UK
    Car:
    Suzuki Swift Sport
    I want one as well..I think I might give pug1off a ring or something get some prices...

20. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    The 2.2 HDi engine is engine model code DW12TED4.

It is a stonking unit and was one of the first 4 cylinder diesels to offer proper performance. Not many were made, at the time they were available in new cars all diesels buyers considered was fuel economy. Not that they're thirsty engines, but the models fitted with it were always at the higher end of the range(s) so most just plumped for the 2.0HDi 110bhp simply because the 2.2 models cost too much to buy.

This is a shame because the 2.2 is worlds away from the 2.0 in driveability and smoothness.

A remapped DW12 is more than a match for a 3.0V6 in performance.

21. Van

Van New member

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    Car:
    Perodua Myvi
    I suggest the 406 - 3.0 V6. engine mate