classic 911 oil cooler

Simon y

Car
modified 911 (2.4T)

Hi guys,

A big thanks to everyone who contributed to my last thread “classic911 engine tweak”. The car is flying, and I am very happy with it. It will goin to have the Autronic SM4 ECU reinstalled shortly, but there is a job I needto do first as it is going to be on the dyno for quite a while and I am concernedabout cooling. Can anyone tell me what I should consider to be the uppertemperature limit on my gauge?

Because the engine is now pushing out considerably morepower than before, there is a lot of additional heat that needs to bedissipated. I have had a look at other cars, and quite a lot of owners run acouple of pipes up to the front, and fit a cooler either in the front wheelarch, or across the nose, but then they need to provide some sort of an airintake. I am looking for suggestions how to include an additional cooler, and anyonewho has done the job before who could enlighten me about where these things cango wrong.

Rather than run pipes to the front, I have had an idea andwonder if anyone has ever tried doing it this way.

I am guessing that the easiest way to plumb it in is to cutinto the return line just before the oil enters the reservoir behind the driversdoor. Pipes could then run the oil to whatever cooling equipment you install,and then pipe it back to the tank. As this is on a return line, there will beno significant pressure in the system, which will allow it to be piped up withaluminium tubing and maybe some of those blue silicone connectors that all thego faster shops sell these days. I have been told that the pipes must be aminimum off 22mm in the bore, and the radiators will also have to be made sothat there is no restriction to the flow.

During the mods to the engine, I cut away the heatexchangers surrounding the exhaust headers, so I now have two flexible hosesleading from the blower to the underside of the car, one on each side of theengine bay. Cool air is blasted out of these at quite a force, so I wasthinking of mounting two custom made aluminium radiators, one either side,lying flat. I would fabricate a cowl to direct air from the flex hoses onto thetop of the radiator, and if necessary another on the underside to direct hotair to the rear of the car, and to protect the radiator from anything thrown upby the rear tyres. I was also thinking that I could fit a throttle valve ineach air duct, up near the top by the blower fan, then I could close off theair for a faster warm up in winter.

It looks like there is a lot of space in the area I amlooking at, my original 2.4T narrow body has had 930 turbo wheel arches,bumpers, lights etc. fitted and there is plenty of room for the equipment Ineed.

The thing is, I haven’t seen the job done this way before,and I was wondering why. Maybe owners do not want to sacrifice the heat exchangers,but mine never really worked, and winter is so short in Johannesburg I can justpull on a wooly hat anyway. The other maybe is that I just haven’t looked atenough cars and the job has been done this way before, I’ve just never comeacross one.

Well, if anyone has experience doing this, please give mesome feedback. I have been in touch with radiator manufacturers and sheet metalworkers with the right kit for aluminium work, and it looks like I couldcomplete this job on a fairly lean budget, nothing is going to break the bank,and where this car is concerned, that’s a first.

Cheers,

Simon.