citroen zx 16v advise needed

omar

Car
citroen zx 16v
hey guys i'm really new here.. i have been a fan of french cars for a long time.. i have been driving quite sometime though i have not get my license still and i dont think anything have ever beaten the feeling of driving a french car. my dad used to have a pug405 and my mum currently owns a citroen xsara 1.6. i am from malaysia and here you can find secondhand cars that are very cheap.. well ofcourse the cheaper it is the more problems it comes with..

anyways, i am thinking of buying a citroen zx 16v. i really like that car.my mum's citroen mechanic just bought a really beaten up zx 16v recently and intends to touch it up and restore it. after he restores it he intends to sell it. he is offering it to me for 10,000ringgit which is about only 2,000euros. with 2000 euros i think you guys might only be able to pay road taxes. tht amount is freaking cheap for a car over here too. the mechanic selling me this car is extremely reliable and trustworthy.

i am really considering of getting it because i love the zx16v and it is damn cheap. i dont see any discussions about the car here. could you guys give me some pros and cons bout the car? i look forward to modifying the car's interior, exterior and performance. i need some tips. this is going to be my first car. thanks guys.:)

look for the pug 306 as i think they shared more than a few parts.
not a big fan of french cars myself, something to do with reliability ( or more lack of )

2000 euros is around £1900 at current - for that theyre are thousands of cars avalible

top ban road tax over here is currently £400 but thats for the big cars - i currently pay £210 a year

ahah.. sorry must have got some wrong info smwhere bout the road taxes.. yeah.. i know bout the reliability thing.. my family was very upset about the xsara we have.. we had to send it for a service month and it broke down like so many times.. wanted to sell the car actually.. but we found this mechanic guy.. he's an engineer-turned-mechanic.. since then everything bout the car has been perfect..

generally speaking, i like european cars not only french.. would prefer to get a new car actually but car import tax is one bugger here.. 300% of the car price.. thts nuts..
well, anyways if i were to import a car, wht would you suggest me to get based on personal opinion? not something too expensive tho..

i prob would go for something german or jap, great power and reliable but at 300% import ta i would see whats avalible in your own country first.

Hi and a warm welcome to TorqueCars, nice to have another member from Malaysia.

300% import tax is silly! That pretty much rules out importing cars unless you are going to get a new one. I guess that is the tax based on the new car price?

thanks=) yeah, its crazy man.. 300%! well yeah, thts for a new car.. but still it is crazy.. thats why we dont have too many nice cars here i guess..

hm.. well the honda civics and accords are kinda popular here.. the vw golf too.. and besides tht there's extremely a lotta daihatsus and our local brand, Proton(which is kinda backward)

I've not been too impressed with Proton either. Glad to hear a local slating it as well;)

I'm surprised the golfs are popular out there but that is good to see. They are nice solid cars.

yeah the protons are like tin cans.. my mums car got into an accident before with two protons.. the protons were like totally wiped out whereas my mum's citroen just had some minor dents..

yeah, the golfs are awesome.. there's alotta people who drive it here.. very popular town car.. many nice modified golfs here in kuala lumpur city.. number of smart cars here are increasing though there is not too many yet.. but i really REALLY dislike smart cars..