car takes ages to warm up on the morning pug 406 hdi

dangttdi

hi

My pug 406 hdi takes an absolute age to warm up any sugestions on why this is. its only started doing recently and the idle needle jumps all over and the car feels like its gonna stall but when its warm its ok.

srry to go on but its really bugging me.

When was it last serviced. Is it down to the recent cold weather - perhaps there is a problem that only manifests itself when the temp drops. Does the radiator get warm quickly - if so the thermostat could be cutting in too soon and over cooling the engine.

I guess it is ok when it is hot. Block part of the radiator with a piece of card (not on long journeys though) and see if the car warms up more quickly.

I suspect it is an air temp sensor playing up perhaps down to a loose contact or a dodgy thermostat.

Has the MPG dropped much?

mpg seems the same but like a say it seems to only when its cold it might be down to the recent cold wether and the fact its kept out on a main road all night.

thanks for the reply.

p.s would you recomend getting a super chip on these cars or is it not worth it.

If its pre 97 a chip will not be very good. After this year a remap is definately worth doing to all TD models but only if the car is running well. Most remaps remove the room for error that makers build in for reliability so if you are getting a misfire without a remap then this will be much worse with a remap running on tighter parameters.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back