Camry 3.0 litre "Sport"

ADIPaul

Car
Camry Sport 3.0ltr
Hi, I recently got a 1998 3.0 ltr V6 Camry with the UK spec. "Sport" package. This means lower susp., 17" wheels, boot spoiler, skirts, and front lip (missing on mine). Std. Camry spec also includes climate control, leather elec. seats, sunroof, cruise, etc., etc.

It has the 1MZ-FE engine and I'm toying with adding a bit more power but without spending too much because, after all, it's an old car. Any suggestions - without adding much extra noise?

Although a '98, it only has 84k miles and looks almost new. No-one knows what it is and it's the only one in my area. My local Toyota parts dealer said he knows of no others. Camry's didn't sell well in the UK but were the biggest selling saloon car in the States for some years! In the UK, they stopped being imported from Japan in 2005.

I've just put new alloys on it (another "Sport" weak point - rubbish British made wheels that buckle) and new tyres. I've also just bought new front top susp. mounts & bearings and all other rubber items for the front suspension. Mine was rattling - esp. when cold. Yet again another weak spot for the Camry, but not dangerous, just annoying until it had warmed up.

After ordering the parts, I discovered that if I put a socket on the damper nut under the bonnet and turned it as if to tighten, it would move in an off/on way with resistance as the castellated top spring insulator rubber turned with it. To my surprise, the rattling disappeared... I didn't even jack the front of the car up!

I suppose the top insulating rubber had turned with it and fresh rubber was now over the end of the road spring. I began to regret spending hundreds on new parts, but then realised that it shouldn't be able to do that anyway, it means the top mount bonding has broken away.

I reckon it's only a temporary cure and will return quite soon but, as I only turned it about 20 degrees, you could probably repeat the procedure several times. It seems all the rubber in the suspension is of poor quality as other parts were also disintegrating. My theory is abuse of the power steering (turning while stationary) will accelerate the wear quite rapidly also.

Toyota have also redesigned the top mounts three times since introduction, so if you buy new parts make sure to get the latest versions from Toyota. I went for these rather than cheaper generic replacements from my local motor factor - they might be copied from the earlier designs only. However, I will use cheaper ones for the rear suspension - if it needs it. Oh, and I've also replaced all the anti-roll bar bushes.

I've also posted about the car in the "Introduce Yourself" section because I've just joined this forum looking for Camry tuning advice. I'll get some pics up one day on my web site about my other car... a 1974 Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas.

Paul.

The best mods for a car engine are usually expensive and time consuming but here are the main ones.

Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power. Do this if you ever have to take the head off for a gasket change etc...

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well.

Bigger valves are an obvious addon but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy.

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods. Turbo cars respond very well to remaps.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.