Buying a GTO next year

Sikthskies

Car
MX5 MK1
Hi, I will be 21 next year and I want something fast. Insurance wont be too bad and I can pick one up with decent mileage for around 4k. excellent.

However, I will want to lighten it. So what can I take off without it looking stripped? Is it possible to remove the AWS? remove the front seats for buckets. Then evenutally lighten internals and mechanical parts. Ongoing kinda thing.

Also, when looking for a GTO (twin turbo model) are there any common faults I should be looking out for? Any check i should have done regarding the health of the engine and the turbos?

Thanks

talk to you next year then

just playing mate, welcome to TC
they are a very nice car

on a different post i found out what FTO stands for
what does gto stand for???

forgot to say
have a look at my write up in the honda section, or general car chat

look for when buying a car you need to

that is a perfect way to inspect a car

ive also saw on another post
blue smoke = 2 stroke or blown turbo
you might want to keep that in ming if looking at the twin turbo model

Good plans but what is the insurance like on a GTO for you.

Country Bumpkin knows his stuff when it comes to GTOs. They are generally quite reliable if properly serviced. Turbo repairs can be costly so check for smoke under full throttle.

Thanks for the replies. Insurance will be £1400 on my own policy, parents as named drivers. Compared to 1k as a named driver on an MX5 now, that's pretty good :p.

What are the brakes like on the GTO? Enough stopping power?

Thats not bad for insurance. The brakes are pretty good but there is plenty of room for a big brake upgrade.

You need to watch the ECU's on older cars. Get the capacitors replaced as this is a lot cheaper than buying a new ECU.

If you are looking for a light car, choose something that is already light.
You can lighten these cars to a degree but unless you spend both your arms and legs, it won't happen.
The MR version comes with 2 wheel steer, no active aeros, no electric suspension etc as standard.
There's a buyers guide on our website, www.sumiyaka.co.uk

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back