Base down low and treble up high

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How do you set the bass and treble in your car?

Do you prefer loads of bass and maximum treble, or do you set them to a mid way point?

I like to feel the bass thump but I do appreciate the finer top end details in music so I don't go to the extremes.

Most of my young friends seem to just want to hear the bass and little else! I try to educate them but it's not working.

I adjust mine to suit the various types of music I listen too. I listen to Jazz, Soul, Reggae, Soca, Calypso, Opera, Classical, Hip Hop, Rap, Garage, Electro but I don't do pop ;)

Obi your young friends seem to like DOOF DOOF music that even a hearing impaired person like me can hear from a block away .V(

Some car owners around my neck of the woods have a crap car worth about £500 wringing wet, yet have a sound system worth about £5k :confused:

The mind boggles :rofl:

In the Passat I adjust to suit the relatively poor speakers. It's never a great listening experience. The treble is grazing and the bass in bangy and boomy.

I'm a bass player - we spend years and hundred or thousands ££s trying to get deep bass with good dynamics and pitch definition. Make the start and end of every note heard. Slap style is more percussive and the 'thump' is necessary but not at the expense of pitch definition and dynamics. We often utilise significant amounts of dynamic compression and limiting to allow an overall higher bass level to be presented without turning the speaker cabinets inside out whilst playing live - 1000 watts plus for the low end with another 200 watts or so for 500Hz and upward is not unusual in a bi-amped bass backline rig. (These are real RMS continuous watts, not instantaneous peak figures).

I like to keep the low end clean and deep but push the MF/HF input gently into clipping to get the bite and tone I prefer. Recording bass is an ever darker science where we are looking to covey or imply the low extension of a 5 string bass, let's say, through playback equipment which really cannot cope with the frequencies involved. I admire recording engineers for their ability with psycho-acoustics.

It is all very subjective though, as deep bass isn't overwhelmingly loud bass. There are systems with relatively poor low frequency extension but where the higher bass frequencies are over accentuated, thus giving the impression that the system is bass heavy.

Listening environment plays a huge role in defining how bass response is reproduced, heard and perceived. Phase problems are common, especially when more than one sub is employed.

Treble needs to be clean and incisive without being searing and painful.

It's all about the bass, 'bout the bass, no treble. :rofl:

If you plan to take over the world as a Bond villain then it's all about the base.
If you want to make an awesome cheesecake it's all about the base.
But if you want to be the best Knight around it was all about the Mace!

If you plan to take over the world as a Bond villain then it's all about the base.
If you want to make an awesome cheesecake it's all about the base.
But if you want to be the best Knight around it was all about the Mace!

A top up to you're usual medication is on the way Obi, should be with you by lunchtime :lol:

Just took delivery of a new CD from the Ministry called: Rappers Delight Old School & new rap music, just put it on my iPod, I will be rolling in the car tonight - bass up! ;)

Just took delivery of a new CD from the Ministry called: Rappers Delight Old School & new rap music, just put it on my iPod, I will be rolling in the car tonight - bass up! ;)

To chill after you should stick on William DeVaughn Be Thankful For What You Got.

"Diamond in the back, sunroof top
Diggin' the scene
With a gangsta lean"

It's an awesome song.

I know the tune well, but I don't think it is in my collection, an oversight I shall rectify over the weekend :)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back