Audi A6 2.4 30v > is a Turbo upgrade possible?

Niall

Car
Audi A6 Quattro
Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum, I searched for an answer in existing threads but didn't find any, so:

Is a Turbo upgrade possible for the Audi A6 2.4 30v (normally aspirated fuel injected engine)?

What would be the most suitable Turbo make and model?

What would be the extent of the required work, expense, etc?

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Hi Niall and welcome to TorqueCars. Why not do an engine swap with a 2.2 S6 turbo engine - these are very tunable indeed.

The 2.4 is farily high compression and I doubt whether a turbo could be safely run at more than a very modest boost level.

To fit a turbo you would need to change the pistons (lower the compression) I would certainly recommend gas flowing the head. You will also need an intercooler, custom remap and will need to get bigger injectors and better fuel pump. There is also quite a bit of extra piping, Diverter, Wastegage and exhaust header that need to go in. If I remember rightly there is not a lot of room in the 2.4 engine bay as it stands?

On your standard car. A remap will get you another 20bhp to play with match this with better headers and a sports cat and you might be able to get another 30bhp on this engine.

Waynne, thanks for the quick reply.

The 2.4 modification does sound extensive and expensive.

The 2.2 S6 would be one option but it'll be difficult to source one here in Finland (small population, not so many S6s).

So the standard engine remapping is realistically the only option I have and I'd be more than happy with 20bhp more than the current 177bhp.

I'd have to get the remapping done professionally as I've never touched engines other than for minor servicing.

I presume a basic remapping implies no mechanical modifications, only uploading a custome software update to the engine's CPU?

What about increased stresses from 20bhp or 30bhp more on drive train and Tiptronic gearbox? My assumption is there won't be any significant increased stresses since torque will not increase so much anyway. Or?

I like your signiture - very philosphical :lol:

The car should easily cope with the extra power with no undue side effects or problems. You are right that no other physical modifications are required.

A friend of mine got a 2.2 s6 and they are pretty rare over here. With a bigger turbo and remap he is looking at nearly 440 bhp :eek:

440 bhp is mad! The dream car state for me would be a tuned RS6 Avant! :bigsmile:

Btw from digituning.com I found this:
A6 V6 2.4 125 kW (170 hp)125 kW/170 hp230 Nm214 km/h135 kW/184 hp250 Nm220 km/h649

Compared to quoted figures elsewhere, I think that's about as good as it gets for remapping the Audi 2.4 naturally aspirated motor.

How would those figures in practice actually feel on the road in terms of accelerating from a standing start, motorway overtaking, etc.?

Btw my Audi has the Auto Tiptronic with 'S'port mode which adds about 500 rpm and that already makes a noticeable difference from normal 'D'rive mode.

You are more likely to notice it when overtaking. Most remaps find power across your torque peak so this is actually what you want. The pick up will also seem a bit quicker.

An extra 20bhp will make a massive difference on a small cars performance and hardly any on a large people carrier or SUV so it is really hard to predict your 0-60 time.

In our Tools pages you will find a quarter mile calculator and if you know the weight of your car it will give a pretty good guess of your best quarter mile run at each power level. http://www.torquecars.com/tools/quarter-mile-time.php

My wife has the same Audi....IF...I was you...I would go with a Super Charger instead !
There is a company in the Netherlands that makes a pretty good package!...3 different "stages".
If you want....e-mail me * Removed email address to protect TC member *...and I will look through my files to get their E-mail for you.
I have been a professional engine builder for 40 years....IF you really want a professional build to go Turbo...there is A LOT you would have to do ...so it would have a decent life span !
Starting with the right pistons and rings....the block being bored, or honed using "stress plates"...then finding the right camshaft for the engine....as well as a good sized intercooler......beefing up the oiling system....also larger fuel injectors...as well as a high pressure fuel pump and regulator.
A supercharger, is a strictly "bolt on "application. Oh sure....you can also go with a total special re-build with your "mill"for this too....but the "charger is the simpler way to go !
Best...Ken

Last edited by a moderator: