audi a3 2.0tdi upgrade

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
By ali mcpherson on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 01:19 pm: Edit

i have an audi a3 2.0tdi how do i get it to go more than the 155bhp it comes with...

A new chip or ECU remap is the easy answer. About £300 for another 50bhp and loadsa torque. You can add a bigger turbo and mess about with the internals but you're talking serious dosh for that.

Yeah, remap it, put a Diesel Diverter Valve in it from Forge Motorsport and think about placing a nice induction kit in it too.

Is yours the sports model? What brakes it got on it? Maybe a turbo upgrade is cheaper than you think, though we are still talking at least a few grand, but big turbo conversions are the most dramatic upgrade.

* VAGrant *

I'm not a diesel (or sooty) head but a petrolhead and know a few valves for petrol VAG cars... but the one I saw for diesel (from Forge Motorsport) turns out to be a dump valve (or blow off valve if you like that term instead).

For a good intro to these, see here:
http://www.streetracersonline.com/articles/turbo/bov.php

Being an A6 owner, I have the OEM diverter valve which I will replace with an aftermarket model in a few weeks. There is a lot of debate as to them really making a difference, but the OEM one is only capable of holding OEM spec boost pressures, so if you plan on uprating the turbo, or running more boost (as you might from an ECU remap or chipping) with reliability, then you're best off getting one that will hold more boost pressure.

* VAGrant *

Most of the Audi engines ar eon a closed circuit so if the pressure is dumped you may find it upsets the ECU at the least it will cause an error code to show in the VAG COM. I held back from fitting a DV so I'll be very interested to see how you get on with one.

waynne said:
Most of the Audi engines ar eon a closed circuit so if the pressure is dumped you may find it upsets the ECU at the least it will cause an error code to show in the VAG COM. I held back from fitting a DV so I'll be very interested to see how you get on with one.

Well I know that's true for petrol, but i don't think Forge Motorsport would promote an atmospheric for diesel instead of a recirculating type without reason.

I haven't decided which valve to opt for. I think I am likely to go with the Stratmosphere HX or one from Forge. The Forge can have the ring seals wear out but the HX has no such seals to worry about. I also saw another one recently which claimed to be able to hold has much boost as any tuned vehicle can throw at it. Can't remember the name :doh:

* VAGrant *