Audi (1999) A6 4.2 chip/remap woes

rmackinnon

Wrench Pro
Car
Audi A6 4.2 (1999)
Hi All

As you may have seen in another thread, I have taken my beloved to get a remap done. What was meant to be a simple job has turned out to be anything but.

First of all the diag port failed to work for the remap, so he resorted to lots of other tricks (apparently), but now has been desoldering the chip and forcing a new program on the chip. He reinstalled, but found the ECU didn't cooperate with the new code. :sad2:

I will be highly miffed if he cannot get this done and restores to standard factory settings.

Anyone got any ideas why my chip is reluctant to a remap?
:confused:

Strange. Do you have an aftermarket radio? I've heard that high voltages from these can play havock with the diagnostic port.

I hope you get it sorted soon though. It is normally quite a straight forward job and finished within an hour!

Good suggestion, but no - all standard Navigation Plus.

Before he started the work he took a capture of the chip f/w (or checksum) before erasing it, the problem is, the original capture is corrupt on his laptop. That captured the data is now preventing him from returning to the standard map, let alone the new one. So he is working on a solution with his network of techies.

This means i have no car until he sorts it. Trouble is, need it for work tomorrow, so i hope he can figure something out!

I hope he does :) I have faith in his abilities, just things like this have to happen to me! :sad2:

Well, the poor guy is still trying to sort it all out (10pm!). Not sure what exactly went wrong, but its possible the ECU is now duff - possibly unearthed a root issue. Not a major issue for me thank god, as he reckons he can source a new one tomorrow. He has come good and offered his car as a courtesy car which he is dropping off tonight.

Hats off to him, he has had some bad luck today, and has at least come through with a replacement car in the mean time.

In addition, also said the ECU replacement (if that's what it takes), will not be chargeable.

Apparently we have had people from Finland, Belgium and London supporting him with this unusual chain of events!

A reading of this model is straightforward, and should not render the ECU immobile.
There is always the possibility of something going wrong but it just doesn't "sound" right from what you say.
Hope you get it sorted mate!!

It should be just read through the OBD but if it doesn't then it has more than likely had a trial by revo or apr which lock the ecu so no one else can map it. All that would need doing is for it to be bench flashed, reverted back to standard then mapped through the OBD. Simples :D

Hi Lemon, interesting point, not considered this.
I think my guy is finally sorting it today

I'll quiz him for sure, will let you all know the outcome

So these free or money back trials are a bit of a con then?

What is this about tricore processors being locked from 2009 that I am reading about?

update: my guy still having issues and i dont have my car back yet, said it was a clean ECU. no idea why it all went wrong. he said the eeprom to do with the imobiliser chip was now acting up and he is trying to recover it.

looks like if he cant fix, he will shell out for a new ECU. expensive mistake.

What is this about tricore processors being locked from 2009 that I am reading about?

EDC17 and MED17 ecu's now have locked processors so that you can't map through the OBD port, basically to prevent all the cheap alternatives out there. With these cars the ecu will need taking out and bench flashed, so not too much of a drama.

got my car back on Friday, and it does feel a little sharper than before - after all a remap to this engine doesn't add a lot of power, but i am quite pleased with it.

Despite me having to go back on Monday to get the following issues resolved:
- Kickdown not functioning
- Cruise Control no functioning
- engine response when releasing throttle is a little sharp (perhaps this is part of the remap - i dont know)

Considering he had to rebuild from scratch again, i guess this isn't so bad, im just frustrated that this has been a bit of a disaster.

He did add a nice feature (at my request) which was auto lock central locking at 15kmh and unlock when ignition turns off.