Astra MK3 1.4i

Danny_jb

Wrench Pro
Does anybody know anywhere i can buy parts for my astra e.g turbos, induction kits, ecu?, I have been looking around and can't find any parts for my engine size they are all for the bigger engines? Also does anybody have any tips about the best makes to go with?

Engine change

I've just read another post saying it's not likely to get a turbo under 1.6 but you could change the engine for a bigger one, how much would this cost and would it be worth it? it's only my first car and don't want to spend to much on it. Also does anybody know of any good books on tuning?

An engine swap is probably the cheapest way to get a big hike in power plus when you add tuning parts to a more powerful engine you get a much better return on your money! :wink: The 2.0 GTE is probably the engine of choice, (but theres no real reason why you shouldn't go for a Cavalier SRi engine or just a bigger Astra engine) get one from a scrapyard and then it's just a matter of getting a quote to fit the engine if you don't plan to do this yourself. I would have thought fitting is between £300 and £600. Remember you may also need to get the 2.0 gearbox and will certainly need to get the wiring loom.

Please check out the insurance implications of an engine swap - it can get quite expensive.http://www.torquecars.co.uk/Tuning/modified-car-insurance.php

Engine Swop

Thanks for the advice, not sure wether to swop the engine or buy a whole new car though. Do you know if the 2.0 litre engine from the astra or cav would drop straight in or would it need new custom parts?

Thanks agen :D

To be brutally honest - its not worth the hassle modding an older car - I did this with my 220 Gti and had leaky hoses, rusting pipes and all sorts of things kept going wrong with it for about a year after. If you choose an Astra engine the mounts and everything should be in the right place so you just need to wire it up to the correct ECU and make sure the gearbox mounts match up!

I suppose it’s not really worth doing the engine on this car and it’s probably fast enough for my first anyway. I think I'll stil do the MK3 though but a newer one, I like it better than the other models.

Thanks agen for your help :D