Are MODS bad for Automatics??

BIGLRETURNS

Car
Toyota Xtra Cab
2008 Subaru WRX Turbo - Super Modified Sport Wagon. RU Ready to Go!

I'm currently thinking about purchasing this vehicle that has been professionally modded by its owner. From as far as I can tell, the guy knows how to mod a vehicle very well. Works for microsoft, dumped some mods into this automatic 08 wagon because he is into making high performance cars. He got bored of this one and supposedly moved on to an STii and has begun modding that one.

I'm concerned about making this purchase. I've read that mods on an automatic are bad for the engine and are only meant for manuals. Some say it's just a matter of preference and that it is wasted money to mod an automatic. Some say it's completely fine.

I was wondering if anyone could please set me straight on this vehicle. Do the mods look good? Bad? If I treat the car good and don't race it (I dont want to race the car) will this 08 wagon last me a long time with its upgraded mods, and I won't have to pay money to fix a big issue soon?

I just really want to know if it's BAD to mod an auto...any answers to these questions is greatly appreciated.​

I know of many autos that have been heavily modded. Get an extended test drive and just make sure that the gear changes are swift, there are no jerks and that the power band fits the gear ratios nicely.

Modern autos have more ratios than old ones which really helps spread out the power. As long as the mods have been done properly i'd have no real cause for concern.

BUT, in my opinion most modded cars are driven quite hard and have a reduced life span. If there was no evidence of regular servicing then i'd walk away.

You will notice a huge increase in the power that you already have if you change the gearbox to a manual. But pretty much as Waynne says really. But if the power through the gear ratios dont feel right, walk away as they are not cheap to fix.

Usually autos can take more torque than a manual box so can take remaps easier.

Really! I keep being told that a manual box will give you more available power from the engine, purely because there is no torque converter involved sapping all the power! :confused:

Have to agree with T9.

I would say its simple physics -

Manual gearbox are direct drive . Cogs dont slip Autos can .
Tourque may break a manual box and only slip in an auto but most cars I have ever been involved have had a much weaker auto box than the manual one .

Yank V8s may be an exception - the tourqueflight box for example is really good at handling torque

All autos boxes have a power limit before they slip . A quick bit of searching will find out what it is for that car. You can upgrade most auto boxes but it can be quite expensive but as long as you are still in the safe(ish) power area for the box in question you should be alright.

Most autos can only take 200bhp, anymore then you're asking for trouble.
Renault did have a model with 240bhp but not too sure about their take on reliability.
And nissan S15 too - limited edition.

Most autos can only take 200bhp, anymore then you're asking for trouble.
Renault did have a model with 240bhp but not too sure about their take on reliability.
And nissan S15 too - limited edition.

That's very worrying, my Saab auto is now running 396BHP up from the 210 factory standard ;)
I had better get the breakdown recovery people on my speed dial on the mobile phone just incase ;)

Audi RS4, RS6, Lamborghini, Ferrari - there are lots of Autos with plenty more than 300bhp.

The clutch is usually the weakspot though.

Audi RS4, RS6, Lamborghini, Ferrari - there are lots of Autos with plenty more than 300bhp.

The clutch is usually the weakspot though.

Ok wayne, but I think these are for people who can pay 5k just to bring down the engine.