Aircon problem please help!

emptybee

Car
Vectra cdti 1.9 120
Hi all,

I put down a deposit on a vectra 1.9 cdti (120) '06 on sat. There was a strange clicking, coming from somewhere behind the centre console/lhs of the car, when the aircon was turned on and the temp turned all the way to min. One "notch" up and it disappeared. It was only a short burst (approx. 4 secs) but it happened everytime it was turned to this position.

Anyway, the dealer has said he will fix it before delivery but his mechanic is having problems locating the fault. He initially thought it was a relay but isn't sure anymore. Has anyone had this happen to them and what was the solution?

Thanks guys, really appreciate any light shone on the matter,

Max

That is a strange one. Not one I have heard of. Does it happen if you turn it off and then on again or is it just on the first time you turn it on?

Re: Aircon problem please help! (plus free mod...)

Well I had an update from the guy, they checked all the relays (all okay) and then took the dash off to find out that it was a aircon motor servo. Apparently there's about five of these in various places behind the dash. Hopefully the part will arrive tomorrow, very excited to get the keys!

It happens everytime the temp is turned right the way to the minimum position. Sometimes its immediate, sometimes it takes a few seconds but then it starts clicking. Usually it only lasts four seconds but obviously somethings wrong and I'd rather get it fixed before I pay than end up paying someone to locate the fault.

One other thing. I've been doing a bit of searching and I've found a free mod. There's a tube in the bottom of the airbox. Take it out and you apparently get a more freely revving engine. This is (again apparently) because it allows more of the airfilter to be used rather than diverting the flow to one patch. Don't touch the funnel on the top of the box as this apparently doesn't help at all and may make the car run worse.

Good little tip there on the airbox. A few guy on here have smoothed out their airboxes and got a slight power gain due to the loss of friction. It is also IMHO worth getting a high flow sports panel air filter, the big bonus is that they are washable.