Air Induction kit vs 2 filters?

verrdann

Car
alfa 156 2.0 ts
Hi all, I have been reading, with interest, the different opinions regarding the purchase of induction kits and the suggested power gains. I am more than content with the performance of my 2.0 TS and I do not want to make any mechanical modifications to the engine. I would consider air intake upgrades if there was a genuine gain.

Does anyone have specs of the following tests:
running alfa 1.6/1.8/2.0 TS motors on dyno without air-filter and then with air-filter on ? Surely it would give a better indication on the performance gain on these motors vs expense and effort? If the power output without an air -filter vs with an air -filter differs marginally, then what is the point of air induction kits? However, if the difference warrants an air induction kit, then here might be a consideration................

............ my brother in law convinced me to add an additional air-filter on my Isuzu 280 Dt bakkie. His explanation was that there was less pressure drop on demand, less air flow restriction through 2 filters = improved air supply. Convinced, 5 of us clubbed in for our respective bakkies and had the pipework with couplings and t - piece customised so that the installation appeared original factory with 2nd standard filter element.

What I can confidently say is that it certainly improved the fuel consumption and it seemed to rev more freely, without hesitation, and appeared smooth/consistent throughout the rev band. This made the vehicle quicker between gears, but no gain on top end.

I was happy with the outcome - improved fuel economy and performance gain between gears. Worth the effort!

So the question is..........on the alfa, 2 filters rather than 1?? :rolleyes: