A3 Purchase Help

PuntoLee

Wrench Pro
Hi all,

Thinking of buying an A3, just wanted some opionions

the car is 1998 1.6 sport black 93 000 on the clock very nice got a little scratch on back bumper nothing major.

however the guy said the head gasket is a little dodgy he has to add water to it every now and then.

he wants £1900 ono

what do you all think any help will be appriated
]
cheers

lee

Hi Punto lee. To be honest it sounds like it is a problem waiting to happen. I would not buy a car at any price if the previous owner has said the "head gasket is a little dodgy". Either a head gasket is bad or it works fine. Check the service history carefully if it has missed services again steer clear.

The car is a good choice although the engine can seem a little underpowered at times but the benefit is the cheaper insurance. It would be nice to have another A3 owner on the site but I reckon that you can do better than this one.

cheers guys i steered clear it would be an expensive job to sort.

but yeah still after an a3 hopefull in black and hoping to put black wolfrace alloys on it

again yeah getting the 1.6 because the insurance is fairly cheap

cheers

lee

I've gotta say, I prefer the newer ones to the older ones, but a decent one (2003 onwards) could you set you back £8000 or more! :O I was looking into getting an A3 around the same time I was looking at Civics. I liked the look of the 1.6 fsi though.