a3 1.6 avu

chubbpmc

Car
a3 1.6 avu 2001
hi all new to the site iv got a 1.6 a3 engine code avu no power in this engine what is the best engine to put in and what will i need is it just a straight swap with a 1.8 or will i need a ecu as well :blink:

Hello there, You should drop in the 1.8T engine and there are quite a few around. I'd recommend a 6 speed gearbox as well, even the 150's still seem a bit lively in 5th gear.

You would definately need the ecu and wiring loom and probably need to get a custom map done so the central locking and immobiliser works with the new ECU.

it would be better selling the 1.6 and buying the 1.8t. along with the engine, you would need the gearbox, mounts, loom, ECU, suspension, hubs, brakes (the brakes from the 1.8 wont fit the 1.6 you need to change the hubs)
by the time youve bought everything needed and fitted it you would be cheaper getting the '1.8t a3 - plus then youve not got the extra costs with insurance (all the changed parts)

yep true but got the 1.6 really cheap so it dontt owe me anything just wish i could get it running right it hesitates between 2200 and 3700 revs all ok below and above that is had new leads plugs oil and filter headgasket its got a sensor on the cam its broken but dont no what its for any ideas

position sensor ?

could also be the MAF - try disconnecting it and see if it runs better
throttle body crudded up - although youd probably notice it more through the whole rev range

best bet would be to get it on a diagnostic and see what the sensors are showing - please note i dont mean plug it in and go theres no codes there so theres no problems

yep true but got the 1.6 really cheap so it dontt owe me anything just wish i could get it running right it hesitates between 2200 and 3700 revs all ok below and above that is had new leads plugs oil and filter headgasket its got a sensor on the cam its broken but dont no what its for any ideas

I recently developed a hesitation between 2500 and about 3000, it wasn't all the time and it was only slight, have recently replaced the y-shaped piece of pipe coming from the right of the rocker cover as this was completely deteriorated, haven't had a chance to drive it properly again to see if it's cleared the problem, although I can't see why a split in that pipe would cause this problem, and only intermittently. Also not sure if the 1.8t and the 1.6 have the same layout with regards that pipe!

If you source the problem let me know because it's likely mine will still be doing it! I did have a fault code 17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve and am waiting to see if this re-appears!

no the engines are different. that y connection is extremely common to falling to pieces but its not on the 1.6 engine

in your case the loss of vacuum messes up readings so the car becomes hesitaint. hopefully that should clear up your 17705. you might also want to remove the lower engine cover and check all the vac lines that are hidden done there. Have you changed the DV for a better one ? the OEM one fitted to earlier models is poor and splits quite easily

tried disconecting the maf sensor it made no differnce what is the sensor on the cam mines missing its only a 8v so woudnt of thought i was to adjust the timing !!!!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back