911 boring or a classic

billyo

Track Warrior
Do you think the 911 shape which has not really changed very much over the years is a bit boring today or is it an all time classic that should never be modernised?

Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair saying the styling hasn't really changed but if you look back at a 1973 911 the shape still seems very similar to the modern car.

I think it is a classic and it would be a shame to do a "new mini" on it.

I don't think Porsche are renowned for being radical in the styling department anyway. 'Evolution' might be a better term for it and the 911 shape is one of the most recognised profiles around and is essentially Porsche's whole brand awareness I would say so they can't radically change the shape. What goes on under the skin though is a different story :blink1::bigsmile: Give 'em there due they've stuck with an awkard design for all this time and finally getting it to work even if they did have to relent to a watercooled engine for the emissions regs :eek:

Andy

I'd agree 100% with Andy here, a 911 is a 911 and should never be messed with, just slightly revised and improved.

a 911 looks like it does because of its design, if you wanted to fundamentally redesign it, you would have to change what a 911 is. it looks like it does because its a rear engine car. if a 911 changed, it would no longer be what it is, a design that was fundamentally flawed, and engineered until the flaw was gone. it is a perfect example of what a car that is never redesigned, only evolved, can be. a great drivers car, and one that is recognized around the world. so no, it will never get boring, unless they screw up the way it drives. until then, porsche just needs to keep making it better.

The the 911 was a classic the moment it was released. It looks as great today as it did 40 years ago! I hope it never goes away (apart maybe for the 996).

Do you think the 911 shape which has not really changed very much over the years is a bit boring today or is it an all time classic that should never be modernised?

Perhaps I'm being a bit unfair saying the styling hasn't really changed but if you look back at a 1973 911 the shape still seems very similar to the modern car.

I think it is a classic and it would be a shame to do a "new mini" on it.

Why mess with perfection?

imo the 911 isn't perfect!
but this is what makes the car appealing to me over most other supercars!! the fact it shouldn't work handling wise but does!!(german over engineering at its best) its cheaper to buy and maintain than most other supercars ferrari, lambo's
the fact they see no reason to change the looks to much
and the fact they almost had it right in its first guise its just been improved over 40 years!!!!!
all these reasons point me to say classic

Yep...all in all 911 is probably the greatest sportscar of all time.
But lookwise I got the feeling the superior Germans have managed to shove their idea of beauty down our throat, and many over time have swallowed them.

There is the world of difference between an early and a late model but both are 911s

A feeble excuse to post a pic of my 73 targa :bigsmile:

image-3-1-2.jpg

Change the concept and you change the car and that will NEVER happen.

Porsche know their market . When they produced the caymen and boxster they left the 911 alone. If they want to make something else it will be in addition to the 911 not instead of it.

They may well update /replace one of the other models instead

There is the world of difference between an early and a late model but both are 911s

Porsche know their market . When they produced the caymen and boxster they left the 911 alone. If they want to make something else it will be in addition to the 911 not instead of it.

Very true words and lovely Targa there, Fuchs and a whale tail what more can you want for. In fact the 928 was supposed to be a replacement to the then ageing 911 range and look where that ended up. It didn't take off and gradually grew into the big grand tourer by mid nineties then dropped all together by 1998. For our younger viewers the model has only just returned recently in the form of the Panemera albeit with extra doors.

A feeble excuse to post a pic of my 73 targa :bigsmile:

image-3-1-2.jpg

I Want, I Want, I Want

Hi,

I just had a look at your video and have to say your car looks very neat indeed. Very similar to mine, which started as a 1972 2.4T but now has a 2.8 engine (staretd as 2.7) and a previous owner fitted wide body arches, bumpers etc. so it appears to be a 930.

Just one question, in the shot with the engine cover open, I see you have competition air cleaners, which look suspiciously like the Jenvey air cleaners I have on my car. Have you got Jenvey ITBs fitted, and if so how are you getting on with the set up? I am having problems getting my car to run well (see my thread "classis 911 engine tweak") and am trying to gather as much info as possible.

I will post some pics. of my car soon.

Regards,

Simon

Me personally, I don't like any Porsche...
But saying that it is a classic imo. How many other cars have been in production since the dawn of time ? I admire the engineering in them bit that is as far as I go.