Torque Cars

83' El Camino SS

Discussion in 'Chevrolet' started by Tricomb, 22 February 2012.

1. Tricomb

Tricomb Full member

America
    Car:
    83' El Camino SS
    Well I've got wheels now and I'm turning the man cave back into a garage so work can be done to the car. The vehicle has a few funny sounds but runs well and passes state inspection. My problems embedded in spotting the problems related to the sound.

Here is everything that has been done to it (to my knowledge).

It's had a 350 engine swap, a 700R4 transmission put in and, a edelbrock carburetor.

Last edited: 22 February 2012
  2. Prince

Prince Torque King

Northampton, England
    Car:
    BMW E36 318is Coupe
    We need pictures dude!

3. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    +1 ;)

4. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
  5. Tricomb

Tricomb Full member

America
    Car:
    83' El Camino SS
    Dash
    [​IMG]

Body
    [​IMG]

Engine
    [​IMG]

6. T9 man

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    ^^ Ah so that's what they are called! Have seen quite a few of these in American movie's, obviously very popular :)

7. Tricomb

Tricomb Full member

America
    Car:
    83' El Camino SS
    I don't know about popular... I've talked to some people here and they think I'm crazy for "driving such an ugly thing." Subaru has a vehicle called the "brat" that looks vary similar, only its about half the size and has seats in the bed of the truck.

I'll be doing a compression test tomorrow or the next day on it. What should I do next in terms of service to check the overall health of the car/truck... thing?

8. T9 man

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Well, the one's I have seen are pretty blinged up and curiously they have all been black.

Compression test is a good start, I would also try and get it either up on a ramp or over a pit to check the underside, exhaust, suspension etc.

9. Tricomb

Tricomb Full member

America
    Car:
    83' El Camino SS
    Much thanks, I didn't want to pull the old thing into the garage just to do a compression check and check fluids. I'll be sure to keep my progress posted.

10. Prince

Prince Torque King

Northampton, England
    Car:
    BMW E36 318is Coupe
    That looks sweet! Reminds me of Hyde's El Camino in That 70s Show (although yours is an 83).

As above for health check. Suspension components will be very worn out by now so either replace or upgrade. As for the engine I would change all the fluids and filters.