406 Peugeot exhaust system, possible project, need some advice!

tester

Hello,

I'm currently running a 98 Peugeot 406 2.2L ***
and am considering putting a new exhaust system under it.

A little bit about my journey into this idea of a custom exhaust is that I'm originally from America, where I dealt with nothing but v8s or larger. I have very little knowledge of four cylinders. Recently, my muffler became severed from the exhaust pipe (I haven't a clue how, I suppose age + weather changes) and rather than take it to a 'mains' mechanics and have them rip me off by replacing the whole system with manufacturer parts, I considered going to a local garage and having them install a custom one.

Now I'm on the hunt to find a system that I like the sound of, and acquire the appropriate pieces.

My desire is to have something that's loud, but smooth. "Too" loud isn't in my vocabulary, given having spent much time around big motors with very little exhaust resistance and some with header plugs removed. Yet I don't want something that epitomizes cheap DIY four cylinder 'boy racer' that sounds more or less like they punched holes in their exhaust on purpose. I noticed that some four cylinder systems are fairly tame, and when you open the throttle they come to life. That's a nice concept, but I'd prefer the constant hum/noise at all times.

As for budget, well it's not really an issue in monetary terms, but I refuse to spend over 500 GBP, which is about $1000, for a system in a 406!!!

I plan to remove the stock manifold, and replace with some headers which hopefully fit properly. I was considering four inch piping, but I know I'm not going to get that all the way down. Maybe 2.4" or something, then expanded near the rear. I haven't a desire for a silencer/tip, or a muffler. However, will I pass MOT with just CATS?

My real issue is just becoming more familiar with popular 'entry' or 'intermediate' level exhaust systems for larger liter four cylinders.

Any suggestions on parts, website dealers and/or other forums for more advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Holly

just passing with the cats i doubt it. noise regs may mean its to loud even if you pass an mot you would still have the problems with the nice traffic police.

you have to remember that 2.2 ( is it petrol or diesel ?) is a hell of a lot smaller than than 5 ltr v8s and that some back pressure is needed so you may find that you lose power by going up to 4"

try and find a local Powerflow garage and tell them what you are after

Last edited:
A) I just want to pass MOT, police aren't a concern.
B) It's petrol
C) Not concerned about small % power loss

Thanks for the reply

4" is way overkill. 2.5" is suitable for a boosted application but personally I'd stick with 2"! I would go for an off the shelf system, but the choice for a 406 will be very limited. A company such a Powerflow (franchised) with make one up to your spec and advise you whats best.

Aye, I'm trying to reach Powerflow. I'm curious if they do headers as well, as I want the whole system, not just back from the cat.

Hmmm unlikely that they would be able to make up a decent manifold I would have thought. I don't know much about the 406, do you know the engine code of your 2.2?

do the cherry bombs work on diesels?
and where on the net can i get them from?
Looking at 3" bore with just the back silencer my car has no cat and that setup in a diesel is road legal many people with my car have done the 1 silencer bit

anyway the answer to your problem tester is custom all the way...

a good system by powerflow is going to cost around £400
a new manifold is going to cost a lot though and if you don't already have some other tuning mods on your engine then it jsut isn't worth doing the manifold a cat back system should do just fine...

Have you done any engine mods?

I don't see why a cherry bomb wouldn't work on a diesel. As far as I know the principle of the back box is to muffle the sound in all applications. Ask your local independent exhaust fitter - they might be able to source a cherry bomb for you.

Do you have a particulate filter Jarrus464?

I don't see why a cherry bomb wouldn't work on a diesel. As far as I know the principle of the back box is to muffle the sound in all applications. Ask your local independent exhaust fitter - they might be able to source a cherry bomb for you.

Do you have a particulate filter Jarrus464?

yes mate i do but i know i can remove it it's relitivly simple..all i have to do is buy a downpipe for an earlier model and swapit over and that will cost me about £30-40...and shouldn't affect my MOT

I've been looking into getting a custom one done as i want a bigger bore...

and you can call me Brett mate...lol

406 Manifold. Get a 4-2-1 manifold made by Powerflow. I know they do do them but only if you ask particularly nicely. I have a colleague who has the 2.2 Coupe and when he added a 4-2-1 manifold and 2.5" straight through pipe with 100 Cell sports cat, it is still loud and rumbles very nicely in neutral/ idle speed and gets louder the harder you accelerate. It also esily passes the MOT as he still has a cat and the noise is JUST below the legal limit so even the police are kept quiet. You can of course look at www.europerformance.com because they are pretty good with Peugeot kit. If not, then www.pugperformance.com will be able to help. Prices will vary depending on what you go for, modification is never cheap!