406 HDi conversion

V

V8 HDi

Hi there, New on here so here goes :?

I've just bought one of the apparently rare 406 family 7 seaters, and although it's a 1.8 petrol it was cheap enough so I wasn't too bothered, and bought it anyway :wink: .

Thing is, in assuming the 1.8 petrol would cost more to fuel than the 2.0HDi that I've previously been accustom to, I wouldn't mind it being a Hdi, if it wouldn't be too much of a pain to convert.

Oh, and I have a spare 406 2.0HDi sitting bored that wouldn't mind being the proud donor.

Obviously anything is possible, but would this conversion be viable?(considering time and hassle)

What parts would I need to transplant other than the obvious?

e.g. would the loom be a minefield, or would the engine loom and ECU etc move across nicely with the engine, plug in and still operate ?

Has anyone who may have completed this task, any advice to give?

How does the fuel consumption of the 1.8 petrol compare to that of the 2.0 HDi? (ie. is it even worth bothering?)

To be honest I think you will be impressed with a remap on the 2.0. The 1.8 engine is lighter but will almost certainly use more fuel that the diesel. The swap is certainly possible but you will need to swap the computer, fuel lines - and filler hole as well as the wiring. Expect also to do a gearbox swap as the ratios are very different between the 2 cars also.

Use our MPG calculator to see what the annual difference is in fuel - Im thinking it will save about £400. The conversion cost will be much more that this when you factor in your time.

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/index.php

Its probaly easier to fit the body shell of the 7 seater to the diesel than move the engine over. You will also have a nightmare getting the car re-registered for a different fuel.

See what HDi fun thinks - he's our resident diesel head.

(Silly suggestion coming up! Put the diesel engine in the back and register it as a dual fuel car! :lol: )