3400 IC Turbo Brain Picker

2nejunkie

Car
Beretta 3400 turbo
Ok. Time to start picking brains.
I have a GM 00 3400(9.5:1):eek:. I recently installed a turbo on it. Runs great.
Only issue is at mid-high rpm I get what sounds like a top end cladder. First of all I am finishing up the 87 octane fuel in the tank.
My question is
Is this top end cladder octane related or pressure related. If I am not mistaken the fuel pressure is around 48 psi. BTW I am only giving the engine 6 psi.
Thanks!

I'd say that the octane rating is too low, I'd use some 93 if i were in a states like your self (my piss is 87 RON :D)and besides surely a compression ratio of that could take a bit more boost with a properly mapped ECU

It might be a case that the ignition is too far advanced for the octane of the fuel

What are your injectors rated at? what flow/cc and at what pressure?
48 psi is about 3.3bar and that seems a little high maybe 3 bar/43.5~psi might help as well

start by using some higher octane fuel, before doing anything else and get the ecu remapped, I'm assuming you haven't had that done yet

also what kind of clatter is it? it a tapping sound or a clicking sound?

Last edited:
Thanks jarrus464.
It seems to have been the fuel for sure. No more ping/cladder.
Stock 3400 injectors are 22.5lb/hr, I plan on upgrading to the 3800 injectors 28-33lb/hr.
Stock tune and 43 psi is closer to what stock is.
Still many parts to throw at this thing. sheesh. I hope I get better mpg!:embarrest:

lol, depends how much you gas it, but still after you got all the engine sorted then get it mapped, surely there are some good people that do that sort of thing in the states

A good tune would be nice.
Video from the passenger seat without a person holding it sux.
Pulls hard anyway.