307 ABS fault etc, etc

Big Ord

Wrench Pro
Car
Honda Civic CDTi
Hi Guys,

Please bare with me....

I've had a previous thread on here about the mysterious ABS Fault that seems to be quite common with Peugeot whereas the ABS seems to want to cut in while your braking from even slow speeds but then ABS & ESP warnings all appear telling me they are now not working. After some sound advice from you guys I cleaned all the Speed sensors, unfortunatley, this did not work so my next move is to simply replace them. I did read there was a recall on the 307 a while ago to replace faulty Speed sensors, is anyone aware if this is true?

Also, since this cold weather has begun I've had to start leaving my handbrake off when my car is outdoors as my rear brakes are sticking on quite badly. The handbrake itself is usually really loose (as if not connected) at the bottom, but pulls tight at the very top!? Is this becasue one side is stuck but the other free?

If anyone has any ideas or had this problem themselves your help would be very very..... helpfull!! :cheesy:

freeing them- its hammer time ;) greasing them up -NOT THE FRICTION MATERIAL - may help

sounds like your handbrake cable might be stretched. if its loose at the bottom. it should get tight at the top as the pads/shoes will start pushing against the disc/drum.

:lol: yeh thats what i've been doin, suppose the simplest ways work the best!

Ok thanks for reply. I'm going to have to get sorted soon cos m.o.t today!! :confused:

Update....Re: 307 ABS fault etc, etc

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]I was searching the net and came across this excellent post on the Parkers website forum about cause and solution of the ABS 'juddering' problem which seems quite common with Peugeot and had been plauging me for months;

---I hope this will answer most problems here;
icon_smile_big.gif
What a pain these issues are, and there is always someone waiting in the wings to take your hard earned cash! I have also had ABS problem as described above. After snouting around I am shocked at some of the proposed sollutions. Most of these are at best sketchy. Wheel bearings; maybe but I doubt its likely that this would render the sensors far enough from the hub to cause the problem and if so I would think that there was already a problem with the sensor. Bushes; hmmm, I wonder if anyone has ever changed bushes and seen an instant result that resolves this issue? I very much doubt it. This sounds like another chapter in the 'GB p@*s take' to me and I'd be willing to wager that most of the garages that you have been to know exactly what the problem is. It used to be the ladies that were the prime targets but now we are all at risk.
How I Sorted My Problems;
After talking to a dealer and spending hours looking for info I drew a blank. Last resort; I went to a local Peugeot breaker near Knighton, Powys. I explained the symptoms (ABS activating randomly, then light coming on and bleeping, then ABS not operating at all, bleeps occassionally repeated, lights on continually). He looked at me with a smile and said "rear sensors!". I asked if he was sure. "90%" he rep****. He showed me a rear sensor on a hub and explained that rust expands under the sensor and this pushes the sensor away from the hub.
I set about the back wheels of my car. Within an hour the breaks were pulled clear and the disc removed and the sensor was visible. Check the gap between the center of the hub and the sensor tip. Stick an allen key through one of the wheel stud holes and remove the retaining screw for the sensor. Once the sensor is out, chip of the built up rust and dirt so that the sensor has a nice flat surface to mate up with (take care not to damage the surface, try the sensor in situe as you clean). Once this is looking tidy, a good layer of suitable grease on the suface and refit the sensor. The tip should now look closer to the hub. Reassemble breaks and refit wheel and the job is done. Round the other side and follow the same procedure. Having completed the job I set off down the road and waited for the bleep, and waited and waited ... nope. Sure enough it has cured the problem
icon_smile_big.gif
I'm not saying that you should all run out and do this job but you can certainly go to a mechanic or dealer armed with this info and this should be the FIRST approach to resolving the problem. Its worth mentioning that I had to file one of the sensors to a flat surface again as it had warped slightly. I would not advise anyone to do this but a new sensor would be equally effective
.---

And it actually worked!!!
As explained above it was the rear sensors which were the main culprits and once the rust was cleaned from the rear sensor seat etc it was spot on!! and its been fine ever since.

Hopefully anybody else having the same trouble will be able read this and get some help from it too.

[/FONT]