205 power problem

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
By Anonymous (80.46.191.0) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:37 am: Edit

Ive got a Pug 205 which has a bit of a phobia of cold starting!! done the WD40 treatment which has worked, but for the first 10 minutes of driving, im getting a lot of juddering under acceleration! Anyone got any ideas as to whats happening?

By Waynne (80.46.141.204) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Try addinng slick 50 to the oil in the engine or X1 superlube - could be a cold friction problem. Also reduce oil viscosity in winter to about 15-40 if your manual says that its ok to use this. Have you renewed HT leads & Plugs & Dissy cap? Could also be an electrical problem.

By Anonymous (80.46.141.204) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

thanks for the advice! Havent tried changing the oil...that could possibly be it! Have got new leads and cap all round, so it cant be that! could be the damp or early morning cold air!! dunno!

By lee on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

sounds like a HT fault try cleaning aronnd the top of the coil and cap turrets with a solvent based cleaner and put electrical greas around the turrets(not inside) if the cap and coil have a protective black sheild around them try removing them as they trap moisture and can give you that fault

If you're having new spark plugs, it's a good time to change the distributor cap as well, although make sure you get the right one, cos there are bloody hundreds for the 205 - i had to change mine four times before i got the right one, even with the exact engine spec for my car in my mind.

Sounds like the system is possibly tracking out on inside of cap or across the nose of the coil. Look for traces of carbon tracking marks on coil and cap.