2001 clio 1.4 16v tuning help wanted

sampsulo

Wrench Pro
Car
98 Celica 3s-ge
hi im a newbie at car tuning and getting my 1st car monday. 2001 clio 1.4 16v...any help? need to be able to match to vw citi golfs

Re: Clio Owners introduce yourselves here.

hey and welcome to the site mate.
where abouts you from ? citigolfs are south african Mk1s.
realistacly you wont get much gains from a 1.4, focus on handling - tyres and suspension.
performance upgrades look at panel filter ( if you want noise drill some holes in the base o the airbox ) full exhaust system with sports cat and manifold. just remember and inform the insurance company of everything you do to it

Hi sampsulo,

If engine upgrades i what you want... personaly I suggest a induction kit, a cip upgrade, and a new exhaust. I have a clio 1.2 8v, but in my search for parts I almost always came across parts for the 1.4 16v so it shouldn't be a problem finding some interesting parts, just google clio engine tuning or clio parts, or something similar. Also I agree with pgarner, you are not gonna get too much juice from the engine, but with a good set of springs and shocks and some tweaking I think you might just get a fairly quick car.
Personaly I suggest starting with a panel filter (K&N I'm hearing are the most popular and best in my opinion), and a cip/flash upgrade (you have an OBDII so it could be done over the port).

P.S. Word of advice: ALWAYS read about the stuff you buy (on forums, impressions, search for sites for info on the stuff), because nothing is what it seems and also anything that is cheaper is way worse (99% of the time). Careful of the cip tuning, most companies say much nonsens and you may end up with a broken engine than a racer, try to find a company with reputation in modifing Renault, and go for a mild tune.

Hope I helped:p

Thanks Guys, now i now know what a forum feels like...this is like my 1st answer in all forums I've ever been too...lol.....yeah the citi's are SA mk1's....they run quick and mods are easy, or so it seems...i'm in Namibia. might not even get the clio anymore...prefer a vw or toyota over it.....no offese...but i'll let you know what i do get eventually...either way you guys can help right?

was planning on that..though its a 1998 VW CTI Golf...differeent from the citi golf...as this had an 1800 engine...didn't ge the exact details..the guy who was meant to sell it to me tried his best to speak english but i think some details were lost in translation...we was meant to bring the car today but he called me to tell me he sold it....such a loser...going to check some out l8er today i'll fill you in on what i find and fancy..

man i love this forum....quick response!

i'm not sure...really depends what i find for the $$ i got. though injection is better than carbs right? i'll let you know what i end up buying.

mm yes and no.
injection gives you a better power band through the whole rev range however carbs are technically easier to tune although setting the needles can be a pain. id go with injection

that's what i thought...injections better...well not technically but convenience wise. lol...always wanted to be a mechanic...keep in mind i live in Africa...might not know the parts you mention in case they have different names...for instance my friend has a 1996 MR2 GT bla bla bla....but it has a blow off valve aka dump valve...makes a cool sound!

btw....pgarner going to check out the garage when the rain stops

Last edited:

if you need an help eoth part names dont worry post up a discription of what it is and well proberly get it

quick question.....if a part i want is only available cheaper there where ever you are what am i to do? can we work something out? because from this car is the birth of my car enthusiastiveness if that is a word! lol

most uk online store (most are cheaper if no the same price as alot of stores) will ship internationally.
ive ordered parts from japan, hong kong and USA for my older cars without any issues

Hi sampsulo and welcome to TorqueCars nice to have you along.

thanks waynne...pgarner maybe you could gimme a list of the sites so i can check them out and see which one fits me...apparently the golf wasn't sold so maybe i might end up with it...i can't belive how slow ar buying is in this country

I've moved this into it's own thread - the Clio owners say hello thread was getting a bit full up.