2.2 HDi 306

jarrus

Pro Tuner
Car
Suzuki Swift Sport
Hi there to all,

Was thinking of dropping a 2.2 HDi engine in my car....currently has the 1.9 td engine in it it's great and pulls well but if I want to go for more power it tends to cost a lot for very little...

obviously I will be upgrading the brakes and suspension etc....

but the real questions i want to know are:

would i have to leave the cats and particulate filters and egr's in
or does it get emmission tested for the cars age not the engine?

and does any body know of a good garage in the midlands thats not going to do me over?

cheers

Brett

You'd have to meet the emissions for the 2.2 HDi engine if it's younger than the car on date of first registration. The EGR will come as part of the engine. You'd have to custom build (or cut and shut a standard) exhaust system to accomodate the sizeable catalytic converter. You would need an ECU for the 2.2 HDi as the XUD, TUD, XUDT diesel engines don't have these.

You would probably get away without the particle filter system (which will require a new fuel tank as well as the filter itself) as they are not mandatory for the years that the engine was in production. Obviously, you'll need to convince the ECU to stop looking for the back pressure sensors etc - a good custom remap will likely cover this.

It would be one lively car without a doubt.

The only problem is finding a donor car. The DW12TED4 engines never sold in great volumes, being top end of the market for a mass market car not many were bought. As new cars, the 2.2 HDi models were seen in small numbers in the 406, 607, and Citroen C5. Probably because they were overpriced for mid-market cars. Hence their desirability and rarity on the used market.

If you want some really prescriptive advice then try Matt Jobling of Pug1Off on 01280 701919 (Brackley, Northants). He's managed to cram TWO 3.0 24valve V6 motors into a 306. OK, one's in the back and drives the back wheels but both are controlled with one set of controls that are self regulating and self calibrating.

In my opinion, he's the definitive source of intimate PSA tuning and servicing knowledge in the UK.

This is it...
184422363_f39fe7a70a.jpg

It's a proper monster if u ask me...

This is it...
184422363_f39fe7a70a.jpg

It's a proper monster if u ask me...

That's the one. It is a monster, about 600bhp worth of it. But MJ is seriously talented with PSA cars and engines.

it is for real, that 306, and it's not a trailer queen either - it's driven regularly on the road.

The bloke who built that has been servicing my own car since 2005 - how lucky is that - only 11 miles away.

Last edited:
My car was made in 1998 ,

I've heard of people putting those in 205's i'm not sure weather they would put the cat in the exhaust....many of them afaik just stick big turbos on them with crazy straight though exhausts...
when was the first 2.2 hdi made then?
Maybe I'll give this guy a call....where abouts is he based?

I live in the midlands is it a trek?

Last edited:
too right....love diesels....on many forums like this people that like diesels always say yes but diesel do "this" much more mpg than a petrol.....
but there missing the point...If i wanted an economical diesel i would have never bought my car (however it's not bad but compared to todays offerings pritty dire)

I bought it for the big torque output that midrange stonk I love very much....much more useful on a country lane than lots of rev's (which is where I do most of my driving)

I've wasted zetec s fiestas, saxo vtr s and corsa gsi's just from a simple tune up that cost me nothing but half a day of my time (the actual process of doing the tune takes about 15 mins but takes long because of trail and error to get it right)

yes they might sound a bit #!#!#!#!...But I don't care niether does HDi fun
However the Aston Martin DBS does make the best noise in the world....

The point is that I preffer diesels to petrols because of that big mid range surge of power and they fit my driving style better...

Yes, a petrol has more top speed but how often are you going to exploit that compared to acceleration?

and yes anti-diesel people are going to tell me I'm talking rubbish but there entitled to do so but theres no right answer I just think there better and thats my opinion

I've worked out that it costs me more to run my diesel...but i wouldn't buy anything else... untill i can afford to insure/run a V8 that is.....lol

Last edited:
too right....love diesels....on many forums like this people that like diesels always say yes but diesel do "this" much more mpg than a petrol.....
but there missing the point...If i wanted an economical diesel i would have never bought my car (however it's not bad but compared to todays offerings pritty dire)

I bought it for the big torque output that midrange stonk I love very much....much more useful on a country lane than lots of rev's (which is where I do most of my driving)

I've wasted zetec s fiestas, saxo vtr s and corsa gsi's just from a simple tune up that cost me nothing but half a day of my time (the actual process of doing the tune takes about 15 mins but takes long because of trail and error to get it right)

yes they might sound a bit #!#!#!#!...But I don't care niether does HDi fun
However the Aston Martin DBS does make the best noise in the world....

The point is that I preffer diesels to petrols because of that big mid range surge of power and they fit my driving style better...

Yes, a petrol has more top speed but how often are you going to exploit that compared to acceleration?

and yes anti-diesel people are going to tell me I'm talking rubbish but there entitled to do so but theres no right answer I just think there better and thats my opinion

I've worked out that it costs me more to run my diesel...but i wouldn't buy anything else... untill i can afford to insure/run a V8 that is.....lol

Rubbish........ Petrol power all the way....lol
Had to say it....;)

I'll now wait for Hdi to have his say......

TN - you KNOW the response you've invited :) You're winding me up and you want me to respond.

I have no problem with petrol cars at all. Some can only be made that way. I would not want a Ferrari with a diesel engine. In spite of the fact that it would go superbly well.

I also think that small town cars with tiny engines should be petrol fuelled because there's no need to worry about fuel usage when the car only covers 1500 miles or less in a year.

Diesels do drive differently to petrols, and the further that diesel engine technology progresses the more different they become.

In a lot of ways, the original simplicity of the diesel engine has been lost. Rudolph Diesel was found suspiciously dead in the English/French sea channel during WW2. probably because his engine technology gave allied subs a massive benefit.

I HATED diesel cars for best part of two decades because they were, very simply, NOISY and SLOW.

A point has been reached that diesel now totally outperforms a petrol engine of the same swept volume. By a huge margin.

Sadly, in the UK, we're asked to pay a premium for diesel fuel. This is all good and dandy, apart from the fact that it's the fuel for heavy goods vehicles.

You can forget your litre for litre comparison though. A good 2.0 litre diesel will leave a similarly good 2.0 litre petrol car in its wake.

Then again, petrol engines require far less servicing, and the fuel is cheaper litre for litre.

So, perhaps run a 3.0-3.5 V6 petrol which will keep pace with a 4 cylinder diesel but only sees a workshop every 30,000 miles.

Petrol power is not the only way, despite my thoughts.

TN - you KNOW the response you've invited :) You're winding me up and you want me to respond.

I have no problem with petrol cars at all. Some can only be made that way. I would not want a Ferrari with a diesel engine. In spite of the fact that it would go superbly well.

I also think that small town cars with tiny engines should be petrol fuelled because there's no need to worry about fuel usage when the car only covers 1500 miles or less in a year.

Diesels do drive differently to petrols, and the further that diesel engine technology progresses the more different they become.

In a lot of ways, the original simplicity of the diesel engine has been lost. Rudolph Diesel was found suspiciously dead in the English/French sea channel during WW2. probably because his engine technology gave allied subs a massive benefit.

I HATED diesel cars for best part of two decades because they were, very simply, NOISY and SLOW.

A point has been reached that diesel now totally outperforms a petrol engine of the same swept volume. By a huge margin.

Sadly, in the UK, we're asked to pay a premium for diesel fuel. This is all good and dandy, apart from the fact that it's the fuel for heavy goods vehicles.

You can forget your litre for litre comparison though. A good 2.0 litre diesel will leave a similarly good 2.0 litre petrol car in its wake.

Then again, petrol engines require far less servicing, and the fuel is cheaper litre for litre.

So, perhaps run a 3.0-3.5 V6 petrol which will keep pace with a 4 cylinder diesel but only sees a workshop every 30,000 miles.

Petrol power is not the only way, despite my thoughts.

Hahahaha.. I don't hate diesels at all. I just like winding you up buddy.
But seriously petrol is the way to go.....;):lol::lol::lol:

I certainly wouldn't buy a diesel for fuel economy alone. In the old days because they were disgusting to drive. And not now because of the price of the stuff.

If you like the way they drive (as I do) then that's fine; But don't kid yourself either that litre for litre petrol cars are quicker. That has long gone.

No go and fix that bloody 620Ti .

Rgds,

P.

I certainly wouldn't buy a diesel for fuel economy alone. In the old days because they were disgusting to drive. And not now because of the price of the stuff.

If you like the way they drive (as I do) then that's fine; But don't kid yourself either that litre for litre petrol cars are quicker. That has long gone.

No go and fix that bloody 620Ti .

Rgds,

P.

I'm still searching for a decent second hand turbo mate. I may even get a new upgraded T28 of fleabay for about £200 but it's from the states and it says in the add it for a nissan... But I think all I need to make it fit is my flang. Any ideas?

And anyway diesels are still rubbish.;) :lol::lol::lol:

Turbo dynamics are good to go for as well...not sure where they are based...

Just thought I would open this tread up again....I'vebeen on fleabay looking for an engine....£1500 for a second hand 2.2 hdi or £2250 for a new one....loads of money I guess...I think when I get it fitted I will go for an uprated intercooler and maybe some water injection with lpg as well....might need a bigger turbo to spread the power across the range not necessarily for more power

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back