106 GTI 16v 1998 - 106 Rallye Gearbox

dagger12

Car
Saxo - 106 GTI Engi
Hi,

this is the first build ive ever done and its a right mix match of car / parts!!

i have a 1998 Saxo and i have put a 106 GTI engine into it! the next thing is i might be able to pick up a very cheap 106 Rallye gearbox (a friend stuffed his 106 rallye). ive been told this gearbox is much better than the stock Saxo box!

my question is - does it take much to put the Rallye gearbox on to a 106 GTI engine?

any help would be much appreciated!

David

The question to ask is. Does the 106Gti block match the block used in the Rallye? Another thing to worry about is the gear ratios. You could end up with very long gearing if you are not careful.

Why are you swapping the gearbox? Are you having issues with your current gearing? If so what about doing a Cog swap with some of the Rallye ratios.

If the engines are different shapes you might find the internals will fit into your bell housing so that gives another option.

Welcome to TorqueCars. You sound like you'll fit in nicely.

Where are you from?

thanks for the reply!

i wouldnt say its a major problem but when i get to say 4th gear and 4000 / 4500 rpm i loose a bit of power where as it will pull like crazy up to 6200 rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

so a slightly longer ratio in 4th and 5th would be nice, and i was thinking if i could pick up the rallye box fairly cheap this might solve the loss of power in 4th and 5th over 4500 rpm!?

but like i say i am very new to this and could be talking complete b******s lol!

i dont know what shape either of the two boxes are and was kinda why i had asked!

i am from the Isle of Man, you?

I'm from the South East of England in Kent from a town called Deal!

I'm sure someone who has done this swap will be reading this thread and can confirm your suspicions.

It should fit together....
and by the way the engine you've jsut put in your saxo is exactally the same as a saxo vts engine...
and yes ethier gear will fit cause the blocks are all the same just that the engine your using has the 16v head
thats basically the only difference

now the question is which 106 rallye does your mate have?
the early 1.3/1.4 or the later 1.6?
the 1.6 has longer ratios
if you were planning on tuning your engine up there are other options as well...like a 306 S16 gear box there very strong or possibly teh GTi-6 box cause it has 6 gears.
It all depends on what you are after in terms of acceleration and top speed and what kind of power you want to get out of your car
but I prewarn you now though the gti-6 box will fit on the block of your engine with out modification but you will need to modify the steering rack because the gearbox housing is bigger so it can have the extra gear....
there loads of options and i can go on all day...think about what you want and need and choose wisely....

Brett