1.8T quattro

danielsonjag

Car
A3 Quattro 1.8T ?
Hey im new here. Im also new to like modding cars and dont really no owt but i have been looking for a A3 quattro 1.8T.

I can see from the other posts on here that the 1.8T is not a bad block etc and i read somewhere that you can get like the 150bhp upto the 200 mark with a remap :eek:. I was just wondering if performance wise is it worth getting the quattro over the standard 1.8T. Like becuase its 180bhp standard, with a remap would it be stupid of me to assume you could get like 230bhp? or is the qauttros ecu just like more tuned in the first place like so i would only get 200? Or is it the four wheel drive that makes it accelerate quicker of somthing.

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan and welcome to TorqueCars. Its great to have another Audi fan in our midst.

The 1.8T is my fave engine at the moment. The 4 wheel drive actually slows up the car a little. However when you hit power figures in the order of 200bhp plus the four wheel drive means you can use all of your power. It also means you can use it in the wet and the quattro drive system means the car corners like it is on rails.

I wanted a Quattro 1.8T but needed a 4 door car so had to settle for the 1.8 TSport.

The more power you start with the greater the gain will be after tuning.

A remap will lift the basic 150bhp 1.8T to around 225bhp. A bigger turbo will see another 100bhp on top of this easily.

The 225bhp base engine is good for even larger gains on a remap.

Hope this helps.

wowww haha cheers waynne if anyone has actually managed this on here could you please put some good places to get a remap.

Also i was thinking about getting one of those switchable remaps, would you get the same kind of figures. Take it its the same. Also do you have to stop and restart the car to switch between the two different 'power modes' if ya get me or can you just like press it as you drive it it was wired into the dash.

Are the chips any better ?

so on the quattro i might be able to get 180+75= 255bhp :O haha mint mate

Custom remaps are always the best option. Most chips are generic and give average increase.

Companies to talk to include, awesomeGti Manchester I think, Celtic tuning, and Revo.

Switchable remaps I think need an engine restart but are controlled via a cruise control stalk. This is what I want and I will get an economy and performance map programmed in.

A very cheap and easy mod you could do at the same time as a remap, is to buy an inlet manifold from the Audi TT 18T 225. Same engine but has 225bhp and the inlet manifold should see you at least another 20-25bhp more over standard, then accomponied by the remap should see you a nice bhp ;) But another thing to bear in mind is, if you take off the silencers/restrictors from the exhaust before your remap, that will unleash a few extra horses aswell.

I looked into all this when I had my Audi A6 1.8T. It's quite amazing what you can do with the Audi beast if you are on a budget ;)

wowww haha cheers waynne if anyone has actually managed this on here could you please put some good places to get a remap.

Also i was thinking about getting one of those switchable remaps, would you get the same kind of figures. Take it its the same. Also do you have to stop and restart the car to switch between the two different 'power modes' if ya get me or can you just like press it as you drive it it was wired into the dash.

Are the chips any better ?

so on the quattro i might be able to get 180+75= 255bhp :O haha mint mate

well derby isnt that far from wolverhampton so i would recommend using performance torque its who i have used and would recommend him to anyone he is 1 of the cheapest around and gets good results from his generic and custom maps

but as for power the standard 180bhp and 177lb/ft will get 210bhp and 250lb/ft from a stage 1 map and all you need to uprate is the dv
a custom map will get you similar results to me 224.8 bhp and 263.3 lbs/ft but thats with a few mods

to achieve 255 bhp reliably you are talking a turbo upgrade

with the 180 engine dont go over 220 as the turbo is in danger of blowing itself to bits, 210 for the 150 engine.
150 with remap is around 190
180 with remap is around 210

sorry to but in on this post.. But i have heard good things about this engine.. 18T Was this the engine that comes with forge internals as standard..i was told you can take the bhp up with very little mods..

no the standard 240 had forged internals but the rest just run on nomral ones, but they will take around 350bhp before having issues.
lifting it up to around 220 is easy enough but after thet it gets more expensive as requires new/hybrid turbos

Its still pretty mental that the engine can cope with twice the standard power leaving you to do a turbo upgrade and remap! :) I Love em!

no the standard 240 had forged internals but the rest just run on nomral ones, but they will take around 350bhp before having issues.
lifting it up to around 220 is easy enough but after thet it gets more expensive as requires new/hybrid turbos
what model audi do you find the standard 240 engine ??

I have the 180 Quattro, and would recommend it, thay are lots of fun to drifting in the snow. But mainly like Wayne has said before “The Quattro’s defy all the laws of physics when it comes to cornering and accelerating on wet roads”.

I have had a hybrid turbo and a few other Mods such as, TIP, DV, FMIC. Just spoke to Celtic tuning and they quoted me £470 for the switchable remap system with 3 maps, standard/eco/sport. They also estimated 275bhp, if I put the injectors and FPR from the 225 in.

so atm my car is standard, itll remap to 210 yes, im planning to get a new intake hose and new dv , would this allow me to be able to get 220bhp out of my remap ?

A DV won't give you any power. I very much doubt it tbh. If they map to 210 standard, I'd imagine a good exhaust system and FMIC you'd be looking at about 230 with a custom map. Depends if the standard fuelling can keep up.

The standard DVs(recircs) are prone to split and stick. A partially diverting DV or a better recirc valve will help this but instead of giving power will prevent you losing it.

The standard fuelling should be fine at these power figures.

230 sounds good , but then a fmic doesnt increase power, just prolongs it true , but the turbo ive got only handles 220, so ill need a turbo upgrade anyway, yes im planning to get the s3 or tt injectors to maximise performance.

back on topic, id highly recomend the quattro mate, ive had mine for a bout a month now, sticks like glue in any condition, i havent experienced wheel spin whilst ragging it. my 52 plate with 64000 was 6k, bit dear but got it off dealer, so was going to be, probally get a 52 for around £5 to 5alf k

see my other post on your power upgrades. if your going down the tt injectors get the manifold and 4 bar FPR as well. yeah the turbo is only good for around 220 although alot of people claim more than this.
the K04 swap is possible and a weekend should be enough to do it in. of swap it or a hybrid K03s thats been fitted with the rest of the K04 internals. these are good for around 250-260 bhp rather than then 260-280 that you can get with the full K04

true true, ive heard the hybrids are very hard to fit, if i get a oem one would that bolt directly on, they costs around £600 dont they, is that a diy job, i have no expeience in cars lol, but just swapping old for new cant be that hard.

the K04 isnt a direct bolt on as requires the downpipes, intake pipe, MAF and different oil lines. theres a few guides on the net of how to
the K03s Hybrids with the K04 internals are direct swaps as they still use the standard housing just ball bearings rather than the journal bearings and the rest of the K04 blades

oh right, so if i get the hybrid or k04 ill still need it to be fiddled with to fit, whats the cheaper option,, hard hybrids needs lots of care and that, like special mods etc.

Rebuilt 03s with internals is around £1000
K04 is around 1200 brand new but can be picked up for around half that.
ahybrid should last longer as the ball bearings cause less friction than the journal bearing. only special mod you should need is a custom map. because the 04 is getting such a common swap most mappers have generic maps for them

I sounds like a well newb in this post lol.!! my knowledge has come so much further from this. I havnt actually done much, only a new panle filter and dv. Oh and uprated my brakes to 312mm, need to bleed them on the week end, so spongy its unreal! On the hybrid, Ive looked into it a bit recently, will cost £500 to get my k03s changed into a turbo, will be getting fmic, tip, injectors , and others. then going for suspension!!

whos doing the turbo for you ? £500 seems cheap for an exchange most want around £800 providing your turbos in good nick.

are you going for the TT intake manifold ( prob asked this before ) this will save on the pipe run as you wont need to double back to get to the intake, or run the pipe over the engine

Cr turbos is the company, really well known with the garages etc, just asked them that i was advised to contact you by a garage ( hes built a 400bhp ibiza so he must know a thing or two about turbos lol) And its not an exchange i dont think. He just said. " if you bring your turbo to us itll be £450 + vat but if you want a new turbo itll be £800+vat. And i may do in the future, but its just a straight swap so no pipes will have to ran different, as yer the tt/s3 manifolds are oppasite to the a3's.

Looks like youve got a turbo in your car http://www.crturbos.co.uk/upgrades.php ghive them an email. they said id expect 280bhp-300bhp. with around 270+ torque. I still want even need a sports exhaust as ive heard loads ofs dodgy things about them, one person spent £800 on one, with NO gains whatso ever, but my downpipe will need to be replaced with a smoother one, to get the to the top figure. Still a bit weary on 280bhp-300bhp though tbh. Id probally just get the turbo and the main things need to make it work properly ( injectors , tip maf etc) then remap it all up.

yeah ive got the same turbo as you K03s. think most companies did it on exchange ie you sent them your they checked it over and if it was fine they sent you the rebuilt one. they then used yours to make another hybrid one.

no i was on about the FMIC. because the A3 only has one SMIC when you put in a FMIC theres 2 options
1 uses the existing pipe to the pancake pipe then new pipe to the FMIC. problem is the exit is on the opposite side from the throttle body. this means youve to run the pipe along the back or FMIC increasingthe pipe length and therefore lag.
second option is taking the hot pipe over the top of the rocker cover see pic below. this can cause more heat build up
100_3167.jpg

by fitting the TT S3 manifold the throttle body is on the RHS so IC pipework is by the normal route, through the FMIC and then up to the throttle body

OOh right..yer thats what i thought aswell, but ohwell all i knows that there doing it for £500 lol

Oh right i see, yer im not sure what im going to about that yet. Over on the other forum theres a few a3 boys doing or thinking of doing a fmic on theres, im just going to wait and see what they do about it. I asked agarge and they said the mk4 golf fmic is best suited for the a3. So maybe the extra piping comes with the kit they use. ( forge in this case.) Is yours a forge fmic or a custom? how much was the s3 manifold.

no mate mines is standard side mount the now. no point upping it as the cars on standard map.
the forge one has both pipes on the same side so theres no extra long pipework. your typical ebay one will do it one of the ways mentioned above. cant remember how much the manifolds went for but i was just looking for prices incase i decided to go down this route

Ohright, yer im planning on running high boost so needs one really, otherwise after heak soak it would probally bog down to 180 again after an hour of driving!.

I have the 180 Quattro, and would recommend it, thay are lots of fun to drifting in the snow. But mainly like Wayne has said before “The Quattro’s defy all the laws of physics when it comes to cornering and accelerating on wet roads”.

I have had a hybrid turbo and a few other Mods such as, TIP, DV, FMIC. Just spoke to Celtic tuning and they quoted me £470 for the switchable remap system with 3 maps, standard/eco/sport. They also estimated 275bhp, if I put the injectors and FPR from the 225 in.

Am new to the tuning scene, What do the abreviations you quoted stand for?
TIP, DV, FMIC, FPR? Thanks.