1.4 Hi Torq Astra mods & advice please

Danny_jb

Wrench Pro
Hi everyone, my names Danny I have an astra 1.4i MK3. It's still a standard car but with a sport air filter, I'm new to tuning cars and I don't know much about it so I would appreciate help from anyone if you don’t mind :D Thanks :rolleyes:

Hi Danny - anything specific in mind or do you just want general tuning tips. Is your engine the 60bhp one (Hitorque or economy I think.)

Hi xavier, Thanks for the reply. I am quite sure it's the hi torque model not sure what the bhp is though. I don't really have any ideas about what to do with it, I was just wondering where is best to start and if anyone has done an astra before and has any tips. Also I have basically no idea of good makes/brands so basically any tips at all will be welcome :D

One thing I would like to ask is, how would I find out what model astra my car is e.g. F, G or H? This is for a dash kit if that makes any difference?

Thanks again

Hi Danny - Had the hi torq model. The main difference is the cam profile and the ecu tuning. To be honest it was a lot less powerful than the other 1.4 model so it would be worth tuning it up with a faster Cam Profile. You do get pretty good MPG though! The handling is not bad - you point it into a corner at any speed - it rolls a little then carries on in the new direction.

Identifying cars - look at the chassis number and take this into Vauxhall and they will identify it for you. You may find alongside your paint colour the model designation so look in the handbook.

On the 1.4 low torque you will not notice much difference at all with a sports exhaust air filter/induction kit etc... The only option you've got is to get the car upto the standard 1.4 spec before you start doing all the other mods and the Cam is the easiest and fastest way to get to this route.

A gearbox swap to something like a NOVA SR box would give lower ratio gearing therefore faster acceleration.

First job is finding someone that is happy to fit for you it as it may require a few modifications to the driveshaft etc.

I don't think it will be too much of a problem to find help some of the people in my family are mechanics and are willing to help, I am also hoping to become a mechanic but is this job to big for an amatur to try?

Everything is easy until you hit on a snag :lol: . You need to do homework first - has anyone else done this mod if so learn from their experience. The last thing you want is do discover that for some strange reason the model of engine and gearbox are not a good fit and you have to strip the gearbox down and rebuild the SR cogs into the Astra box :D

I'm not sure if anyone I know has ever done anything like this except for my dad but that was with a motorbike but I think it would be basically the same and my grandad used to strip down engines and gearbox's often so he would be able to help me if anything did go wrong.

Thanks again for the advice, this is a nice site you have, very helpfull :D

Thanks again for the advice, this is a nice site you have, very helpfull :D
Thanks for that - tell all your mates about us! We're just about to hit the 1,000,000 mark :D :D

The the new look Forum and all new members Gallery are now live - the rest of the site is getting a major makeover too! (I think i'm running out of time on this though and I need to earn some money as well so maybe another few days or so before I finish that :cry: !)