2nd car. 106 rallye/gti v 306 dturbo v primera gt v fiesta 1.6(99-02)

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
which would be the best buy for someone on a budget, looking for smiles
106 rallye/gti v 306 dturbo v primera gt v fiesta 1.6(99-02) v clio 172. Any other ideas? thanks all

Last edited:
the 1.6 zetec S fiesta is a good buy, would say with 106 and 306 would be less reliable (not fun when you have to fix it!). Friend of mine has the Z-S and loves it, nice and quick too and not too bad on insurance, plus pretty easy to mod and has the huge advantage of not being french.

I would narrow it down to two , the 306 or the fiesta, the 1.6 is a lot of fun, you can rant it without getting into too much trouble, it pulls well too, giving you plenty of opportunities to embarrass ricer-boy at junctions, as for the 306 it depends on the spec, a friend of mine has had a lot of work done on his, turbo change, remapping ect, and it goes and sounds like a beast, but bog standard i think that the ford is more fun.

just watch out for rust, as with all fords.

Go for the Primera no question. Handling is unbeleiveable until you actually drive one. Engines are bullet proof and pull well in all gears. There is plenty of scope for tuning as well and with a decent induction kit and exhaust they sound awesome too.
Get one with full up to date service history and you'll be fine no matter how many miles it's covered.

I'd go for the Nissan on the handling front. If the peugeot is a 110bhp HDI model then that will tune to 150bhp with a remap alone which will stay with the Nissan apart from the bendy bits.

306s handle well, it's just that the Primera is much better still.

With a full 4 wheel alignment and decent rubber the Nissan will cause your ears to bleed long lefore you reach the limit of lateral grip!

xsara activa or what ever . unbeatable on the corners. nothing and I mean nothing comes close not even ferrari's

Might upset a few here but...Fiesta is #!#!#!#!...slow and not too reliable.

106 ...the gti will be faster both in the corners and in a straight line, but even worse reliability than the fezza.

306 d turbo... handling worst out of the lot listed, but nippy with a remap. Its a diesel though :blink:

Primera GT...quick and reliable...do it!

How about the almera gti?

I chose the Primera long ago but nothing at all pulls as many G's in a bend as an Xsara Activa, believe me. It is a petrol head fact, the suspension is the most advanced ever. I'll try to find the PPC mag which covered the Activa and type here what they have to say about it. 2 litre turbo motor which is easily tuned for little money, all the toys but bad MPG, I will buy a Primera sure but don't underestimate the Activa. hell of A TOOL FOR THE TRACK.

Last edited:
Ok here goes, Citroen Xantia, The worlds first car to have roll controlled suspension, The system works in two parts, when the car is turned the rise is stiffened and second patr stops the car from tilting more than half a degree. this all happens in the blink of an eye reletive to the cars speed and angle of turn. The Xantia Activa puuls more G Force than a Honda NSX or a Ferrari 512B, all for less than a grand. Imagine what one could do on a trackday with a pair of Slicks.
2litre turbo easily doubles boost for a £30 boost controller, Engine will easily see over 200k miles, the downside is MPG, under 30 mpg, closer to 25.
Quite a weapon then, As for the 172 that was allways my first choice, but a few people reckoned they were trouble so I opted for the Primera GT as the ultimate value for money car, However Loz has now got me daydreaming about the Metro with the engine conversion...............Then again there is allways the Talbot Sunbeem with a Vauxhall red top XE............it's a never ending quest....................the story continues