The Torque test

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Don't attempt this on an old, nackered or weak engine! Do this at your own risk....etc...

Can you start your car off in 4th gear and pick up speed smoothly without any shuddering? Only cars with a good amount of Torque can manage this.

Mine just passed with flying colours!

my mate when he did his advance driving was told by the instructor
cars with around 200bhp you should pull away in 2nd and 1st should be left for parking the car

ive never tried pulling away in 4th but i can pull away in 2nd/3rd no problem
but with my 263 lb/ft of torque i could probably pull away in 6th
behindsofa.gif
:lol:

well i know i have the power to do it but cant as i have a auto lol

but i know its good as when going up hills that manuel cars are in 2nd or 3rd i am in 4th low revs can pull like anything

and the new one has even more

It's not just the torque. Diesel engines also have tall gears so the clutch will take a bashing.

A better test is to turn off the ESP/ASP/TC etc. and floor it in 3rd gear. Do the drive wheels break traction.

i can drive around in 3rd all day, even from a stop she.ll take off in third (not on a hill obviouslly) does that pass??

Pulling a 3-4 tonner truck in second is normal due to build of engine and gear ratio.
If car is super low weight, pull in fourth is okay.
If car is heavy weight, no good in second.
Depends on gear ratio, engine torque and car weight.

Cant do it in mine as she's automatic....but in tiptronic manual mode I can pull away in 5th gear and she will pick up very quickly.....and I can pull away in my citroen relay van in 4th with no shudder although it takes a while to pick up speed.