Custom Induction Kits

Nalderz

Tuner
Car
307 1.6 16v Rapier
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has custom built there own induction kit and if so, do you think it was better than anything out there??
If you havent what do you think?
would it be a good idea or not?
any tips?

i havent built a custom induction filter but i have pretty much done everything else in my old car custom mounts housing hoses and fittings was pretty easy get some decent metal mountings a brochure for a silcone hose company and get measuring. Mine was easy a small bend in one pipe from front grille. Oh and i bet stamford has somthing to say about this thread as im sure he is or was well into all that for top race cars ( If im not mistaken)

I customer built mine using cheap material for Halfrauds, definately would not advise it as the ducting from the filter to the engine was made on tin foil and just fell apart. Going pipercross when I get paid.

i'm doing mine at the mo.

got a nice filter fitted.
the problem i have is finding a way to the pipe work past all the rads.
i have 4 of them to negotiate.

lol try finding out where the air pressure is greatest on the bonnet or below engine (carful of speed bumps) doesnt have to come from the front bumper

Oh and that tinfoil stuff is a joke haha silicone ducting for the win.

like this look at the radiator its all metal and joined by silicone hoses.

impp_0804_03_z+1993_mazda_rx7+engine_bay.jpg

like this look at the radiator its all metal and joined by silicone hoses.

impp_0804_03_z+1993_mazda_rx7+engine_bay.jpg

Thats an intercooler :amuse:

Ive not only made my own kit but relocated from the standard position to shorten the pipework and keep pressure drop to a minimum, as far as i know im the only person who has relocated it to where i have.

If you make your own, dont use convoluted pipework, use the stuff with a smooth internal surface otherwise you will create turbulence and create a pressure drop and loose power

I made an induction kit with an old 57i cone and made a sealed unit for it to sit in and pipework from bumper so no hot air got anywhere near it. along with cat removal and advance the timing was a wicked upgrade on my p11 gt primera..:lol:

I customer built mine using cheap material for Halfrauds, definately would not advise it as the ducting from the filter to the engine was made on tin foil and just fell apart. Going pipercross when I get paid.

the alu pipe is more for ducting the cold air to the filter. its not really strong enough to support the filter (as you probably found out )

did look at getting some 3" pipe from work to make my own one when i first got the car but decided against it as no longer wanted the noise

Is rubber hosing ever a good idea? Seems like a cheap and readily available alternative?

Cheers,

Adam