Volvo S40 2.0d tuning project

Greg1990

Torque Junkie
Car
S40 2.0D SE sport
Hi everyone..I have a Volvo S40 2.0d 2007..done the usual mods ie custom map,dpf/egr delete,full stainless exhaust and K&N panel filter pushing just over 180BHP..Just had an hybrid turbo made and a “drifting” friend reckons he’ll get a Skyline GTR Intercooler behind the grill with all the space that’s there.Has anyone done the similar?..just wondering if the injectors will need uprating and/or the clutch?..All advice much appreciated..

Hi and welcome Greg|B

It seems that you have done all the right things so IMO the clutch should be fine IF it is handling the power ATM so when it fails then upgrade to a better clutch.

Does the car have a stock intercooler and if it does have you ever had it internally cleaned as over time there can be a build up of oil film residue in the tubes that will reduce the IC's ability to transfer heat and the air temps at the outlet will be higher leading to less power.Fitting a larger IC will help reduce the air temps and cold inlet manifold air = more power.

Re bigger intercoolers surface area is more important than thickness.

Hi and welcome Greg|B

It seems that you have done all the right things so IMO the clutch should be fine IF it is handling the power ATM so when it fails then upgrade to a better clutch.

Does the car have a stock intercooler and if it does have you ever had it internally cleaned as over time there can be a build up of oil film residue in the tubes that will reduce the IC's ability to transfer heat and the air temps at the outlet will be higher leading to less power.Fitting a larger IC will help reduce the air temps and cold inlet manifold air = more power.

Re bigger intercoolers surface area is more important than thickness.
Thanks for your reply..We are ditching the stock Intercooler in favour of a much larger one to compliment the hybrid turbo.My cars stock power was only 136BHP and were hoping to achieve in the region of 250BHP with the new mods?..The clutch is coping well with the current 180BHP but it has done 130,000 miles and we are anticipating it may start slipping with an extra 70BHP?...Then there’s the injectors to consider,are we going to need bigger ones to cope with all that extra power?..It’s a voyage of discovery as I can’t find anyone who has done similar mods to their S40 2.0d for any hands on advice?..

You will IMO need bigger injectors for this. Stock injectors on these flow ok up to around 200bhp, beyond this they can top out, and you'll get it running lean or flat spots. It might be worth uprating the fuel pump as well just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your advice Wayne..just keep getting conflicting opinions,some say they won’t deliver enough fuel and some say they are good for 250BHP+?...I’m sure we’ll find out when we get her on the dyno..What bigger injectors do I ask for if needed,any ideas?...or will my “mapper” know that?...

A new injector can do amazing things, as they get older though they drop off significantly. That's why the manufactures under specify the capabilities, to cope with them as they start to wear out. You need to be using a maximum of 85% of an injectors rated flow rate for safety IMO.

To get the injector size you'll need to know the power output, this gives the amount of air being pushed in, then it's a calculation with the air.fuel ratio tables to get your injector size.
NB: Injectors are rated in cc (not cylinder capacity)

https://www.deatschwerks.com/fuel-calculators/fuel-injector-calculator is a handy rough rule of thumb calc.

Thanks again Wayne...Seems I’ll have to wait until we get her on the dyno to ascertain what’s needed?..I’ll keep you all posted..Just had a look at that injector calculator site,it won’t let me select diesel as the fuel type?..lol..

Last edited:
Well all that waiting is finally over!..she’s off to the dyno tomorrow...booked in at 10:00...:)

The results are bittersweet!...195BHP!...the map sensor is only a 2 bar one and the hybrid turbo is maxing it out..looking at the graph from the new map and old map it is over 40BHP increase from 3,800RPM and carries on all the way to the red line..looking to find a 4 bar map sensor to let that turbo do its stuff..the journey carries on..lol

Hi everyone..been a while..much done and improved since last posting..found a 3.1 bar map sensor..fitted that then we ran into fuelling issues above 4000RPM!...had the fuel pump and injectors rebuilt...Results...220BHP ..looking at fitting a meth injection kit next..

Hi Greg1990, been reading through your journey. And wondered if I could pick your brains. Currently running an '05 V50 2.0d custom map, ect....... just waiting on delivery of a hybrid turbo. Wanted to ask which MAP sensor you went for and also did you rebuild / refurb your injectors in the end? As I'm currently having issues with fueling.

Hello there...it’s been a long journey for me!..it appears no one tunes this engine beyond stage one maps..the stock map sensor is rated at 2bar which is pants..lol..I managed to find a 3.1 bar which believe it or not is an upgrade for a Fiesta 1.6TDCI..it’s a direct fit..give NB styling a call on 01747 445097..That’s where I got it from...have your fuel pump and injectors tested as they should provide adequate fuelling up to 300BHP plus...I had mine refurbished at AP diesels,give Danny a call on 01784 437228 and tell him Greg told you to call..I was having fuelling issues above 4000RPM,the rail pressure was dropping off..turned out the solenoids in the pump were faulty..if I hadn’t done any mods the fuel pump would have been fine for normal stage one stuff but because of all the mods ie..hybrid turbo, bigger intercooler and more boost it just couldn’t provide the fuel...we have now maxed the uprated map sensor out but my mapper says there’s no point trying to find a bigger one as the hybrid turbo will only churn another 15BHP out or so?..all in all it’s turned the car into a proper sleeper....hope that’s been some help..also just wondering..what sort of power are you hoping to achieve?..if you’re wanting more than around 235BHP you’ll need a bigger turbo than an hybrid...

Last edited:
That's brilliant thank you, I'll definitely look into the map sensor. The turbo should be back next week with upgraded 56mm compressor wheel, bearings, shaft ect... and mapping after that. I've had all my injectors rebuilt so I'll focus on the pump. I'm aiming for 250bhp and 500nm so we shall see what the dyno brings.

AE turbo’s near Wakefield built my hybrid with exactly the same specs ...56mm compressor wheel and uprated bearings..they told me it would make no more than 235BHP!..any more and it would destroy itself..had I known that beforehand I’d have gone for a physically bigger turbo...but ye live and learn..lol..have you installed a bigger intercooler?..mine is an uprated Nissan skyline GTR intercooler..mine is doing well over 400ftlb of torque..

Yes I'm running a stage 1 Airtec at the moment. With the custom mapping I'm currently running 210bhp and 450nm so 235 should be easily achievable. Turbo Developments are doing mine.

210BHP on the stock turbo?..AE turbo’s told me I wouldn’t see more than 190BHP and that would be pushing it!..lol..that’s why I had them build me an hybrid...who do you use for the dyno work?...I use Paul Murray “R S Tuning” up in Leeds...

I use a company in Bromborough called RRR. Although I had the 222 run at a place in Mold. But that was as sketchy as......

I know what you’re saying regarding “sketchy” dyno results..Paul often tells me of people who have gone to him saying their car is doing 325BHP and when he gets it on the dyno it’s struggling to make 300BHP!..lol...keep me posted..I’ll be very interested to see what yours makes...also..I take it RRR do a lot of volvo’s then because you need a special lead to plug into the ECU’s on volvo’s to be able to read the software..

Last edited:
I'm doing pretty much the same thing as you guys
I've got a s40 d4204t with following engine mods
Full custom 2.5" exhaust
Demon motorsport gt1756 hybrid turbo
Direnza focus st alloy intercooler
2.5" intercooler pipes
Egr delete
Ram air Induction kit
Creation motorsport catch can
Focus st hardrace engine mounts

I'm booked in for mapping on a rolling road this saturday & wondering if anyone has found the best map sensor for achieving around 250hp? Got a short space of time to find 1 & if you've found any other components that will let go around this power? What other things should i be buying? bought the car standard 2 month ago so it's been a rush from 1 part to another,
Any advice on parts needed is apreciated tia

If you have a look back up the thread there is a number for NB Styling, I've just ordered the upgraded map for the fiesta 1.6 tdci which apparently is a straight fit

I’m running the 3.1 bar map sensor from NB styling..it’s coping well with 220BHP but my mapper said a 4 bar sensor would have been better but I couldn’t find one that would be a direct fit?...I’ve just installed a Snowperformance methanol/water injection kit..She’s going on the dyno next Thursday for a power run to see what extra power it’s added?..just by the feeling it’s got to be +20/30 BHP?..I can certainly tell a difference when it’s running!..the car is still pulling very strong past 120mph!..

No comment..lol.. :)

IF you have followed my posts I get my speed fix on track and sprint days where there is medical assistance close at hand should I run out of road/ talent and crash and don't condone or encourage excessive speeds on the roads where there is oncoming,cross traffic people and animals, trees etc etc and assistance of any type hours away.

Sorry dad!...I’m 48yrs old..I’m a professional driver by trade and recreation..licensed to drive anything with a steering wheel!..we have a saying here in Yorkshire...”don’t tell ye Grandmother how to suck eggs “..look it up.. ;).

Not trying to tell you how to drive just pointing out there is a time and place for speeds in excess of the posted limits and a public road is not one of them pro driver or not IMO.

What psi have you made on the 3.1 bar map?

& helpfull info for those who don't want to buy a expensive "upgrade" map sensor, i found it's just the map sensor from 2.2d engine found in ford/jag etc so a fraction of the price

I’m not sure of the exact amount of boost that I’m doing?..will find out on Thursday when she’s on the dyno although I’m sure he said we were close to maxing it out?..the map sensor I’m using is an upgrade for the Ford Fiesta/focus 1.6 TCDI..it’s a direct fit other than having to shave a little ridge off the plug with a razor blade...I was pulling my hair out trying to find a 4bar sensor that would be a direct fit.like you say,a custom sensor can be installed but you then need to fit an adapter to the intake ..too much pissing about for my liking..

I never said anything about a custom sensor! I'm saying instead of people getting ripped off buying a "upgrade" from a tuning company just just buy the actual part, part number is 079800-7661, as you'll notice on nb styling website they take there photo's in a way that does'nt show the part number, i've made 245hp on this sensor & cost me £25 from tms

Sorry..thought you were on about a map sensor bigger than 3.1 bar?....you’re running just under 2bar of boost then?...you’re doing exceptionally well to be getting 245BHP..I’ve got a hybrid turbo made by AE turbo’s in Normanton with a 56ml Turbine wheel,Nissan skyline GTR upgrade intercooler which covers the entire front of the car,full stainless exhaust,dpf/egr delete and K&N filter..I’m getting 220BHP..Just fitted a Snowperformance methanol/water injection kit so going to see what extra that has given her on Thursday...

I'm doing pretty much the same thing as you guys
I've got a s40 d4204t with following engine mods
Full custom 2.5" exhaust
Demon motorsport gt1756 hybrid turbo
Direnza focus st alloy intercooler
2.5" intercooler pipes
Egr delete
Ram air Induction kit
Creation motorsport catch can
Focus st hardrace engine mounts

I'm booked in for mapping on a rolling road this saturday & wondering if anyone has found the best map sensor for achieving around 250hp? Got a short space of time to find 1 & if you've found any other components that will let go around this power? What other things should i be buying? bought the car standard 2 month ago so it's been a rush from 1 part to another,
Any advice on parts needed is apreciated tia
How did you get on with the dyno results?..

The car has been running exceptionally well with the new methanol injection kit..Been toying with the idea of adding nitrous!..Any opinions?..lol..

Been on the dyno today...239BHP and 435ftlb of torque..pretty happy with the results.. :)
Hi their, im currently in the stage of going hybrid, turbo is getting send off next week currently running 182bhp 412nm, i have a couple of questions if thats okay, first one was how do you no the stock fueling is good for 300 plus and also whats it like now compared to a stock turbo remap and how come you used meth, did the turbo max out at 220, thankyou, ben

Even Lewis Hamilton has to abide by the road rules that apply equally to pros and amateurs when out and about on public roads.

Not trying to start WW3 just reminding people that the laws apply to everybody regardless of their level of skill and experience.

PS am old enough to be your "dad"