Howdy from USA- VA

slimbobaggins

Car
Z32 Fairlady Z
Hey folks,
I'm on a number of other forums across the web, but stumbled on this website while researching RB25 information. I'm always looking for new sources of info!

I had a 2005 GTO (Holden Monaro for the non-US folks) for a number of years and am between projects right now, but am researching R32 Skylines and Z32 Fairladys as a target for my next "toy" whenever that may be, because I like the styling of both. I have no brand loyalty and whatever I end up getting will likely end up with either a 2J or a LS in it. So it is what it is.

My DD's are a Ford Focus with the Mazda MZR-based engine, and an old Toyota Hilux that I would love to 2J swap if the little 4 cylinder in it ever dies.

Anyhow, look forward to chipping in on conversations and learning stuff. Cheers!

Hi and welcome :)
With your proposed future projects you will fit right in nicely here
I have a soft spot for the Z32's and a fellow competitor at my last event had a LS conversion in one that slotted in nicely and looked factory and went like stink.

He told me that the front of the car sat 2 inches higher after the swap (so the turbo V6 must have been a heavy motor)before it was lowered so that would be good for the front to rear weight ratio as well as general all round balance.

He also said that he imported the LS conversion kit from the US.

Last edited:
I've always loved Z cars, and the Z32 in particular.

It also helps that Z32's are relatively cheap in the US, not nearly as popular as the other 90's Japanese super cars. I can only assume this is due to disdain for the VG30 engine, and difficulty in its maintenance.

As I'd be planning an engine swap, the VG30 is a non-issue. I'd really like to play with a 2J, but running iron block LS engines are readily available in my area for less than $1k, and a LS1 can be had for less than $2k, so it's hard to look in any other direction. My GTO-Monaro with the LS2 had about 500 crank horsepower when I sold it, and drove like a stock car.

I already knew the VG30 was heavy with its iron block and twin cam setup, but it's cool to hear that the LS engine was that much lighter.

I figure I can build a pretty nice LS-powered Z32 for about $10k out the door. Boost would be nice but I'd have to get the engine in there and debugged before I worried about trying to shoehorn a turbo in there somewhere.

I've never really been a fan of blowers. Since I was a kid, I've always had a fascination with turbos, and after reading an article about a turbo V8 classic mustang when I was 16 or so, I've always wanted a V8 with a big turbo.

I was working in that direction with my GTO, but priorities changed and I sold the car in preparation for the next stage of my life (husband and stepdad).

So... the next chassis I play with, whether its a Z or something else hits my fancy, it'll have a LS and hopefully eventually a turbo.

If that is your dream then you must do it when you can |B

I'm sure that you realize that the power delivery can be wildly different due to the different AR's turbine housings available and load that will determine the boost rise whereas the belt driven chargers boost rise will always be linear regardless of load.

Belt driven screw type chargers use engine power to drive them and the boost rise will always be linear no matter what pulleys are used.

Exhaust driven chargers use waste gasses to supply drive to the turbo but still rob some power due to restrictions in the turbine snail that cause some backpressure that will vary depending on the turbine AR.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-superchargers-vs-turbos

Last edited:
Oh I'm aware that configuration of a turbo setup is much more difficult and that a blower is a nice way to bolt it on and let it rip. It's just not my style. :)

If and when I get to that point, if the turbo is just going to be borderline impossible due to space constraints, then I'll consider a centrifugal like a procharger or something of the sort, but it's far from my first choice. I'll be building this car as a toy to play with, so tinkering with the engine setup and design is all part of the fun.

Oh I'm aware that configuration of a turbo setup is much more difficult and that a blower is a nice way to bolt it on and let it rip. It's just not my style. :)

I kinda figured that you did :)

I included a link for those who may come across this tread that were not so experienced or knowledgeable when it comes to forced induction.

Hello and a very warm, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin, sorry for my slow reply, I've not been around for what feels like an age due to health and family issues!

Nice to have you along, I hope you're enjoying the site.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back