How to prepare for a track day - USEFUL GUIDE

Moff

Authorised Trader
Car
Nissan Skyline
Hi All, thought we would write another one for those looking for help preparing for a track day .

We cover lots of points in the our blog post. How to Prepare for a TRACKDAY - USEFUL GUIDE

Tyres, brakes, warning lights and more.

check-oil.jpg

check-track-day-tools.jpg

How to Prepare for a TRACKDAY - USEFUL GUIDE

Keen to hear feedback as always :)

There are a few things missing from the list namely,

1 Battery terminals need to be the insulated type OR taped over.

2 There should be a battery position location indicator. Over here it is a blue triangle.

3 Tow hook location marker front and rear.Note many newer cars need the covers over the tow hook mounting points in the bumpers removed and the hook screwed in position.

4 Fire extinguisher I have made a bracket that is fixed using the seat mount bolts with the Extinguisher BOLTED to the bracket on the passenger side

Last edited:
There are a few things missing from the list namely,

1 Battery terminals need to be the insulated type OR taped over.

2 There should be a battery position location indicator. Over here it is a blue triangle.

3 Tow hook location marker front and rear.Note many newer cars need the covers over the tow hook mounting points in the bumpers remover and the hook screwed in position.

4 Fire extinguisher I have made a bracket that is fixed using the seat mount bolts with the Extinguisher BOLTED to the bracket on the passenger side

If we were talking about Race regs, I would agree, this is just for track day :)

FYI - Some tracks down our way insist on a few of these things (fire extinguishers and tow hooks).

It's a good list and food for thought.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best may be way to prepare for any track day.;)

At the very least the minimum is what Obi said.

You don't want to chuck it into the sand trap and get stuck and if your car has one not have the removable tow hook in place and delay rescue and hold up the event .V(

Last edited:
FYI - Some tracks down our way insist on a few of these things (fire extinguishers and tow hooks).

It's a good list and food for thought.

I would agree on tow hooks (thats in the article).
I've never needed a fire extinguisher on a track day, any time over last 15 years or more, unless under Race regs. Which circuits need them for track days ?

I have only seen 2 fires at events over many years BUT "plan for the worst and hope for the best" is a good way to do things IMO.

All the street sprint events on closed roads over here require extinguishers.

For instance I have a recoed pair of rear cv drive shafts that go to every event with me.
The street sprints are 2 day events a few hundred klms away so I carry a comprehensive tool kit,spare belts, oil,PS, radiator and brake fluids plus windscreen cleaner.

PS Moff re tow eyes :oops: my bad .V(

Last edited:
As my car is turboed and after a cool down lap and returning to my pit bay I always leave the engine running to allow it to cool down with the handbrake OFF while removing my helmet,HANS device and gloves and when out of the car push the car along a bit to help prevent the brake discs sticking to the discs or causing a hot spot that can lead to warped discs.

I also tighten the wheel studs/lug nuts with a tension wrench and check them between track sessions.

Thanks for the excellent article.|B

Last edited: