Are satnavs dead thanks to mobile phones

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I got an offer for a reduction in the price of a TomTom as an existing user because my old model will no longer handle the modern software.

I was amused that I would get free maps for the life of my product but the life is determined when the manufacturer can't be bothered to support it any more!

My phone has live traffic and constantly updating maps and superb routing so I can't see me ever going back to using a standalone sat nav.

When mobile phones have killed off the Satnav completely will they start charging for the service?

Video Killed the Radio Star. :)

Google maps is supported by Google and they generate bazillions from ads. Google maps will be free for life :)
Why buy something when I can just use my existing hardware?

I love my Navman and would most likely install it in my new/next car even if it had a built in sat nav as the maps in new cars can be behind the times and $$$ to update.

IMO my Navman is way more informative than the built in system in my better 1/2's new car.

Being an old dinosaur I am happy with the level of technology I am used to and if it takes an extra nano second or keystroke to find what I need that's fine by me.:)

PS I do have a smart phone :) that is way smarter than me .V(

The sat nav fits nicely in the car and doesn't drain my battery on my essential phone so that is the main reason I use it instead of my phone. When we hit traffic I fire up the phone to check the road conditions and get a reroute.

My phone gives better directions that my sat nav, with more detail, better warnings and takes into account the traffic.

The sat nav fits nicely in the car and doesn't drain my battery on my essential phone so that is the main reason I use it instead of my phone. When we hit traffic I fire up the phone to check the road conditions and get a reroute.

My phone gives better directions that my sat nav, with more detail, better warnings and takes into account the traffic.

If you have power going to satnav why cant you have power going to your phone to keep it charged o_O

My Tom Tom satnav, the antique Go 700, is the size of half an household brick ;b/ & probably weighs as much, but it does all I ask of it. "Jane" gets me to where I need to be. I made a quick release for the unit, (no sticky-on) marks on the screen & when removed there's no sign of any attachment on the dash. Likewise my Nokia 1200 'phone. It was recommended by a guy called Adam & his missus Eve. I can see the mono chrome screen in all weathers, who needs colour? when shade is a prerequisite.
The CO has one of those all singing, all dancing jobbies, nah! not for me.
Okay, now ready for all the brickbats, thick skin at the ready.
See if I care, just click on my avatar. :p;)

Last edited:
of course peoples comments in favour of mobiles assume everyone has a modern high spec mobile with a decent size screen.
not everyone buys the latest iphone , samsung or whatever is the current fad.

i still have my garman after 5 years of constant use - it has a sreen at least as big as the biggest phone and works perefectly.

Besides a lot of modern cars have built in sat navs now anyway

Brian I'm told that the built in SN's are costly to update the maps:(
I am comfortable using my Navman and would most likely install it in any new car regardless.

Brian I'm told that the built in SN's are costly to update the maps:(

They are indeed costly Rad, mine is a factory based original DVD Sat-Nav disc from 2009. It is out of date, and an updated version of the disc is harder to find than the truth spoken by a politician, plus the ruddy thing does not do postcode entry which is a thundering nuisance. I have since put Google maps on my phone which is light years better. I welcome the postcode entry which is great and also the Bluetooth from the phone means I can have constant voice guidance over the car stereo. I went out last week and bought a longer charging lead so that the phone can plug into the cigarette lighter, and a new phone holder that attaches itself to the windscreen. My life is so much easier now while driving around in strange unfamiliar places |B

Os surely there must be some young computer wiz that could somehow install / download the Google maps into the factory system ?? ?-/

In my new 4WD ute's factory navigation system it doesn't show speed limits or red light cameras or warn of school zones and have spoken to the dealers about this missing info so will be installing a new Navman with lifetime free map upgrades soon as have fitted the old one in my Civic type R.

I'm relying a lot on the cars in built navigation. Sadly though if it ever needs an update I will have to shell out around £350! Think I'll go to my phone at that point.

It's voice controlled and actually works quite well.

I'm relying a lot on the cars in built navigation. Sadly though if it ever needs an update I will have to shell out around £350! Think I'll go to my phone at that point.

It's voice controlled and actually works quite well.

When one can buy a Navman with lifetime map updates|B it seems like highway robbery the way dealers charge for built in sat nav updates \B IMHO