Car recommendation ?

horsepwraddict

Car
U don't want 2 know
Hi guys!
Just found this forum and it looks like a really great place!
Right now I am driving three different cars, none of which I am wanting to "make fast" LOL
BUT...I am looking for a car to tune and just have fun with, so I am thinking that with my budget, a Porsche 944 is looking pretty good.
So I wanted to ask, If I am looking for a Porsche 944 What model is the way to go? Turbo, NA, S2?
My goals for the car is to be faster and better handling.
I would like mid to high HP numbers and I really like working on cars! So I think that I can do most of the labor myself. What would be the best 944 to tune to about 290-350 RWHP ?
And is the 944 a good car to tune anyway?
Thanks in advance!

Don't know where your house is LOL but if you want it to be reliable at little $$ you may want to consider an engine swap and an SR20 DET would be a good choice as it has heaps of development done on them and getting 300 + at the wheels is a simple job.
What I have suggested will horrify a purist so it all depends on what you want to achieve as well as spend.

I have a friend who shocks the BMW owners at the track with his 2JZ powered older BMW that cost way less than modding a BMW motor to get the same power.

PS I only suggested the SR as they have been proved to be tough and reliable in numerous drift cars over here

Hi and welcome to TC
Forget the NA models, Porsche went as far as they could really in developing them. You may be able to squeeze a bit more out but it'll be a long and expensive journey. The turbo on the otherhand was dramatically detuned as it would of outgunned the flagship 911 in power and handling, it held the Nurbingring class lap record until the GTR took in it 1989. As you can see from my project link T9 graciously put up I took mine from the standard 250hp to 330hp with the mods I've listed. This was quite a nice sweet spot for the car, I don't really think the chassis and transmission could handle any more. It would spin the rear wheels very easily with this power and even a simple overtake could make the car snatch sideways as you went by. If you want big power in a 944 then to keep the low torque that the standard engine is renowned for having then you need to increase capacity. 2.8ltr is a favourite but there are 3.0ltr and even 3.2ltr options. Expect to be paying £10k to £20k for a big change of engine spec like this + the running gear to handle it and transfer it to the road.
You say "is the 944 a good car to tune?" Yes its a brilliant car and I loved it. It is going to be a old car though now. I went to a R33 GTR V-spec after the 944. Just some advice, this car CAN handle the big power. The Attessa pro 4WD system in V-Spec form is awesome and I never felt scared in it unlike the Porsche. Bit of trivia the Attessa is actually based on the Porsche 959 system but then perfected.
Any questions then give us a shout

Honda's VTEC units give unbelievable power and revs but there's not a lot can be done to wring more from them, they're complicated beasts.

Nissan's SR20DET is mentioned above - they're bulletproof so make a good option for tuning.

Alternatively look at derv and revel in the midrange slam from modern remapped high performance diesels. I know it's a controversial option but many of us are pretty content with the effortless torque delivery. One caveat though is not to buy diesel for economy. In general petrol engines are better in terms of simplicity and servicing requirements.

Wow thanks for the welcomes and for all the great responses! Hmmm cool so a nissan SR20DET.
So like find a wrecked Nissan bluebird or something else with a Sr motor?
If you haven't gathered it already...I don't have millions to blow on a car...and I really need bulletproof, because this will be my daily driver! So my reasoning behind the Porsche 944 is that I really like Porsche's and I don't mind the look of the 944, with upgrades they look really nice. They have almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution, and they can be bought for a song!:love:
Okay so the stock 944 has a 2.5L inline 4 that makes a sad 137hp and only puts about 120ish to the tires.
But a Sr20det is only 2.0L but makes 201-245 at about 7psi.
So as far as getting a 944, would a car that did not run work...I mean if a engine swap is in order, why not a cheaper car? I have seen 944 for only $800 usd, did not run, but looked ok.:confused:
Thanks again!

I only mentioned the SR20DET thinking out of the square as they are reasonably bullet proof provided you install rocker stoppers.
If my memory serves me right the 944 has the gearbox in front of the diff ??

I only mentioned the SR20DET thinking out of the square as they are reasonably bullet proof provided you install rocker stoppers.

All cars have the G|B in front (upstream) of the diff. In the case of RWD cars it's just a case of how far in front :-D

Didn't the 1980's Alfa 75 have a similar arrangement?

All cars have the G|B in front (upstream) of the diff. In the case of RWD cars it's just a case of how far in front :-D

The justification in Alfa's case was weight distribution, however, I think mid engine has to be superior to splitting the large masses at extreme ends of the car which can result in the pendulum effect.

Why do we have reduction gearing built into the diff/final-drive? Any reason not to have different ratios in the 'box itself? I am guessing this is down to packaging but I would like the proper answer if I am wrong.

Didn't the 1980's Alfa 75 have a similar arrangement?

Last edited:
Welcome mate! As already mentioned. I'd go with a Skyline, or some form of Jap beast. Nissan S13's S14's and S15's can be picked up cheap ish... And very easy to modify. Heck... Even Subaru Imprezas are relatively easy to modify to get good power!