Cyclists love em or hate em

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you love or hate cyclists? I don't know anyone who feels passively in the middle about them.

Do you take cyclists more seriously now that Wiggins is around?

They are a pain here on Sundays. Seems to be a race through the village almost every Sunday during the summer.

I still haven't worked out how they can race on the highway but we can't.

I hate cyclists! I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I have seen one obey the traffic laws.
In London I have witnessed several accidents, several near misses, and unfortunately seen lots of flowers cable tied to a street light or traffic light where another one has met the grim reaper :sad2:

NOTE TO CYCLISTS EVERYWHERE!

You are NOT indestructible neither are you protected by the Golden Fleece and neither are you rendered invisible by some sort of alien cloaking device!

For goodness sake, the red light means Stop for you too, one way roads or streets are for the flow of traffic and not to be ridden against.

Crash helmets are ridiculously cheap and were designed for a specific reason, the void inside your head were common sense once resided does not create a soft cushion effect for a sudden impact against; tarmac or the steel bodywork of a truck!

Please please please!!!! Ride carefully - cycle safely!

What cheeses me off is that there is no way of identifying them to report their dangerous behavior.
IMHO anyone who cycles in peak hour traffic on narrow congested roads has a death wish. It should also be compulsory for all 2 wheeled riders to wear hi vis reflective vest.

Last edited:
i hate the 1s that go out in massive groups and take up the whole of the road going slow talking to each other but when you beep they just carry on like there the only 1s on the road

They pay no road tax no insurance and think they have a god given right to own the road:mad:
Its safe to say I can,t stand the peddle pushing freaks:mad:

2 days ago I was in Southend with my Girlfriend, picked her up from a friends, and came across a huge group of cyclists. Every so many feet were safety islands so made over taking diffcult, as they took up the intire road. I had to over take and then go around an island on the otherr side of the road, as there were litary hundreds of them! Single file formation is fine... Its when they bunch together.

As said generally fine in single file. What tends to annoy me more though are the drivers who don't know how to negotiate them. You're not a train with a kinematic envelope that you have to keep the cyclist out of, they won't suddenly get sucked under your car if you pass them within a few feet. You don't have to almost stop and then swing wildly over to the other kerb to get around them. It's a BICYCLE!!

That's my post was expressing... When they are all bunched to gether, you have to really go on the other side of the road, as they're all stubborn so and so's and will not move.

Yeah I got your meaning mate I just meant people that overreact when it's one or two bikes single file

Sorry, I thought it was directed at me! No worries, but yeah, no need to over react to a Bike. Mind you... Some of the poeple I've seen riding a bike are all over the place!

were i live on the main roads they have even put cycle paths on the pavement but they still never use them

The fact that they don't have compulsory insurance bugs me. They can scratch your car, break your mirrors etc with no recourse and in most cases will just ride off and disappear. If however you catch one of them and throw his bike against the nearest brick wall then politely educate him in the way of the world, you're the one who ends up being interrogated by the plod and can be prosecuted.
They also bleed and can be partial to outbursts of tears and lower lip quivering.
Apart from that, I obviously treat all cyclists with the exact same respect they offer me.

I used to really hate them then I had a conversation with a mate while driving along one day. Those guys are mentally ill out riding 40 miles in bucketing rain, I said. He said to me, they probably say the same thing about you standing out at the side of your house in the rain spending 4 hours swapping a gearbox.

Horses for courses, live and let live. Cyclists are just like any other group of people, petrolheads included, you get decent ones and you get a-holes.

I'd better lock up my bike and keep my mouth shut :p

:lol: I have already stopped any notions from her indoors about getting a bike for keeping fit :amazed: If I ever decide to allow her to have one, then she will know for sure that I have life insurance cover on her in excess of £500k :lol:

Sorry guys, but as a cyclist there is a lot of bad press about fellow cyclists. Now don't get me wrong some cyclists really cheese me off while im driving but as some previous posts state they cycle in large groups and don't move over when your behind. The police tell cyclists and horse riders to ride in big groups and to use as much of the lane as possible so the drive can see the cyclists and drive around them with a SAFE amount of space.

Thats the key point a lot of cyclists in my view ride their bikes unsafely in the eyes of a driver but put yourself in the shoes of the cyclist who is either just going home after a days work (just like you in your motor vehicle) or is doing some fitness training instead of paying out for a gym membership or just going for a steady ride to enjoy the countryside.

If they ride in the gutter its puncture central and drivers squeeze past with no consideration for the life of the cyclist, but when a cyclist rides in the middle of the road a driver will peep at them to try to move the cyclist out of the way. so why should the cyclist move over most of them own cars and to be honest has just as much right to be on the road as a car or a van

please spare a thought for the cyclist next time you pass one just give a little more room - they may come across as arrogant but treat them with respect and they will return the favour (most of the time) !

Cyclists will bunch together for a lot of reasons
1) you can go faster with less effort
2) you can talk :D
3) for cars its a shorter distance to overtake and therefore safer
4 ) no one will get left behind and potentially get lost

sorry to take the side of the cyclist but please see it from a real cyclists point of view, find a beer garden on a sunny sunday afternoon out in the sticks you'll see a group of cyclists, go over and talk to them and just ask why they do what they do.

Last edited: