Pulled over by the police

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
How many times in your driving life have you actually been pulled over by the Police and what was it for?

I can only count one occasion and this was because I was lost and driving around buckingham palace a few times whilst there was a big security alert on. A nice policeman on a bike got me to follow him and set me on the road I needed.

Countless!
Here in Croatia the police got the demanding role of filling the state budget, so policemans here got habit to pull you aside wherever they got bored.
Even experienced after everything was allright with my documents and i haven't done anything wrong, they measured my tyre pressures.
but don't be afraid to come in Croatia with your car - our policemans knows that turists bring money into state for their sallaries and if you don't do excessive speeding you will be spared. They just love to show who's the boss for the native cityzens only.
But, of course there are exceptions. If you are an Croat and you make what ever you make they got no balls to pull you aside if your car is Lambo, Ferrarri, S-class, 7 series, A8, or what ever they think it cost over 150 k€.
thank you for the question. :)

In my younger days, many times. The Elan was well known in my area as the car to beat and I didn't drive it slowly. Did quite a bit of road drag racing for money back then and the police knew the various straight deserted stretches we used so it was a game of cat and mouse, which still goes on today. But at least we used stretches of duel (pun intended) carriageway and weren't hooning around estate roads. Agree to a race and location, drive there, race and then back to the pub via various routes. Grown up now and will only be racing on the strip.

I found the best thing to do when being followed (as opposed to being chased) was to stop. When asked why I stopped I would reply that I was so used to being pulled over that I found it easier just to stop. This seemed to surprise them and we usually ended up talking cars for a while before being sent on my way.

I quickly realised that if I treated the police how I would like to be treated you can get away with quite a lot with just a friendly warning.

Just once. Young driver (in a Corsa) going through town centre on a Friday night. I clocked him quite early though so I didn't drive like an idiot. He asked my name, where I was going and that was it.

Twice for me, once for moving along at a fair old skip on an A road and the nice gentleman pulled me over! "Hello Captain, did you show any movies on that flight?" I nearly wet myself laughing :lol: I apologised profusely and the man was great, no problems at all! :)
2nd time was by a policeman in East London who had just bought the same Saab as me and from the same dealer in 2003 and was having no end of problems with it; just wanted to ask my opinion!

Three times.

One by a colourd car, and twice by unmarked.

First time - Having a car that looked like it had a driver with no licence inside. Honestly, that's why he said he stopped me on Anglesey.

Second - They pulled me rather than the Silver Vectra that overtook me doing about 100 over red cross hatched section. They saw two cars, and picked me! I even told the dozy bar stewards, if they got the other guy, they could have banned him! lol

Third - Driving up the A9 and they were just doing checks as it was 3am. Didn't mind that one. They were doing a job and a job worth doing. As they pulled the next car along up the road too!

I had the opposite happen to me once, tooling along at over 100 on the M61 in the late 1990s it was, late at night, and this 5 series came zooming past me with the police in hot pursuit, the rozzer in the passanger seat wagged his finger at me with a half-smile on his face as they went past.

4 times for me,2 times in the late 1970s for speeding on a motorcycle,and twice in the last 2 years again speeding!ooops!.

Once when they thought I looked too young to be in charge of a complicated auto-mobile.

Once for having smoked rear lights ( well that was the reason given anyway ), I was speeding at the time but they never mentioned that.

Once for no insurance, tax or MOT & speeding. They very kindly let me off with that as described in another thread.

Once for 137-ish mph. fortunately he couldn't get the radar gun on me quickly enough, so no charge there.

Once for a broken brake light & to see why I was driving around in the early hours.

Another time just to see why I was driving around in the early hours.

Once for no tax = 1 £60 fine.

Again for no tax = 1 warning.

Again for no tax = 1 £60 fine. DVLA are still chasing me up for that one...

Once for no insurance = No charge.

The only time I've ever been 'hassled' by police was once when I called them to advise them that my car was in the ditch. Over an hour later (after they figured out what they where supposed to be doing) I asked if they could give me a lift to the station to wait for a pickup, when they decided they should probably give me a breathalyzer test (about 2 hours after the incident now). Very poor performance from that particular station imho.

Then you get into the old argument of which is more dangerous, sometimes drifting 1 or 2mph over the limit or watching your speedo constantly instead of the road.

Sorry, but there is no agrument. There is no need to constantly watch your speedo to the detriment of your control of the vehicle, that is what peripheral vision is for. If a driver has to do that in order to stay within a limit then I suggest that either their eyesight or mental capacity is insufficent to be able to control a vehicle safely and they should consider using public transport so that the roads are a safer place for the rest of us.

Last edited:
3 times

Once just after I had passed, to see why I was driving along county roads at 3am. (considering I live in the sticks and worked at a bar at the time, what do you think?)
The other two more recently when for some reason my traders insurance wasn't flagging up on anpr cameras. Given a notice and had to take insurance documents in...no major problems :) None for speeding...ever. Much to my, and most of my passengers surprise!

once.... i was in morrisions car park when it was dark and raining quite heavily, sat at the end of an isle of the car park waiting for a car to pass, was a gap so quickly popped out of the junction... gave it a little blip of the throttle so i didnt get rear ended by the car coming behind (thought he was going slower than he was - my mistake) due to conditions and booting it in 2nd wheels spun up and exhaust popped and flamed, car behind i had pulledo ut in front off was a cop car lol blue lights went on, pulled me and they guy goes:

" that was bloody cool! ive not seen a car flame before! but please dont drive like that in these conditions as i dont wanna see this car in a ditch!" and then let me on my way lol was sound as a pound! luckly didnt ask/ check why it was spitting flames! good ole de-cat! lol

I've only been pulled twice so far:

1st 'cause I was leaving a bar at 11pm (I worked there) and they were having a crackdown on drink drivers, so I wasn't bothered

2nd 'cause I only had 1 out of 3 rear brake lights working, he just told me to get it fixed ASAP

Once I over taken a silly old hag on a Pedestrian Island I went the over side of the island thought no one was about but went past a parked up motor they said just be careful in future and let me on my way because I was instantly honest about it

Staying within the speed limit is no challenge really as OG states. Furthermore, you're very unlikely to be pulled over for doing nothing other than travelling 1-2mph over the speed limit.

I got stopped by an unmarked Omega in April 2006 on the A421. Quite reasonably so for driving at 95mph in a 70mph zone. Finger wagging was administered and I was left to proceed.

They'd have been quite within their rights to summon me to court for that speed.

got pulled in a golf gti and was followed from 1 town to another where they must of checked my details before pulling me saying there had been a lot of car thefts in the area more like young lad in a nice car

Twenty police operate a zero tolerance policy. That's why people in my area get pulled a lot. If you ain't done nothing wrong then you Dnt get pulled. Simplest lol

Classic but true. (Bit lenghty but woth it)
About a month ago, I pulled up outside my house in the early hours of the morning. I had been out for a few drinks with mates. No alcohol though, as I am the only salary income at the moment, so I just don't risk it.
Anyway, I was listening to some music in my car when a police van pulls up and three or four coppers jump out and one asks me what I'm up to. I said just listening to music. He looked at me with a 'of course you are' expression on his face.
so he asks all the usual questions, and I respond accordingly. Then he asks me where I live. I say ' that house right there behind you', pointing to the front door of my house. The look on his face when his jaw dropped was wider than the grand canyon !! Mint. All checks were verified for ownership of the car, insurance etc, and they went on their way. :eek:

Classic but true. (Bit lenghty but worth it)
About a month ago, I pulled up outside my house in the early hours of the morning. I had been out for a few drinks with mates. No alcohol though, as I am the only salary income at the moment, so I just don't risk it.
Anyway, I was listening to some music in my car when a police van pulls up and three or four coppers jump out and one asks me what I'm up to. I said just listening to music. He looked at me with a 'of course you are' expression on his face.
So he asks all the usual questions, and I respond accordingly. Then he asks me where I live. I say ' that house right there behind you', pointing to the front door of my house. The look on his face when his jaw dropped was wider than the grand canyon !! Mint. All checks were verified for ownership of the car, insurance etc, and they went on their way. :eek: