Serious engine mods for a 306 d turbo...help?

cmcgrellis674

Car
citreon xsara
160bph 306 d turbo?
I am looking to know what mods i can do to my engine in order to get it putting out around 160bph, i have heard of a few things which will help but nothin really set in concrete so i want some good advise before i start lol

all help appreciated ;)

70 bhp or so gain.

id say you need a bigger turbo, bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, better map at a minimum

newer engine might be a better approach

Is your D turbo the HDi one or the earlier XUD-T model?

The 2.0 HDi 110 (not sure if PSA ever fitted this engine in the 306) will go to about 150bhp with a remap alone. The 2.0 HDi 90 will do the same if you fit an intercooler before the remap.

The 1.9 XUD-T will require massive modification (as PGarner states very clearly) and will quite possibly become a smoky, diesel chewing, uncouth car which attracts police attention constantly.

The 2.2 HDi 16 valve unit is very tuneable. My 406 (PSA never fitted the 2.2 to the 306) tuned effortlessly to 190+ bhp with a remap alone.

The engine will fit a 306 but it's a massive job and requires extensive work. The other problem is that the 2.2 HDi (engine DW12TED4) did not sell in big numbers, so finding one is likely to be a problem.

Last edited:
my advice is also to get bigger turbo,biger injections,biger fuel pupm,intercooler...u could also install full exast system and after all do a remap to use max from your mods....after all ull have lort and lot of torque and power...:bigsmile:

Right lol ha ha plan is, Hybrid or lorry turbo, front mount inter cooler way slim fans, 2.1 pump from a xantia or 405 an the pump screwed about half a turn lol

Wat kind of injectors do i require, i had 2.1 injectors in my old car an they werent much good. Would staight desil ones work better or wat should i got for?

tbh mate fitting a newer engine would be better. much more techology has meant that diesels do have oomph without all the smoke you would get with fitting a huge turbo and injecting the diesel in until its up to boost.

jarraus is the man to ask

awk am a young boy a bit of decorartion smoke will do no harm ha ha It will only have to be screwed to meet the requirements of the bigger turbo when on boost so it should not be all that reeky?

Even if you can get enough fuel in you will not be able to burn it all. High pressure diesel engines have outrageous injection pressures. The old design indirect cars use about 30-40 bar, Current HDi systems are upwards of 1900 Bar.

Don't waste time modding an XUD-T diesel.

awk am a young boy a bit of decorartion smoke will do no harm ha ha It will only have to be screwed to meet the requirements of the bigger turbo when on boost so it should not be all that reeky?

it causes me harm as i wont be able so see passed you and not be able to safely pass the tractor ;)

ive just bought a 2.1, gonna strip it down an possibly work of it. Not sure if this will be beneficial or not lol

My friend has a good one on his back window, it says " if you can read this, then this car aint screwed enough ha ha"

I think I will put my worth in here since I own said car ;)

the best thing to do is use the 2.1 with a 1.9 bosch fuel pump with an 11mm head form a transit van pump with some adjustments to the govenor and advancing mechanisem,

3" full exhaust, a hybrid turbo (t2-25 would be good) you will need a big intercooler and water meths injection, also consider some LPG injection as well,

If you want some more info I'm your man on tuning these engines ;)

also use the 2.1 injectors, and use a 306 hdi gearbox, it will fit :)

i've seen a 2.1 xud running 195 hp, there's a video on you tube, it runs a type of mitsubishi turbo,

also a helix clutch will be required

Last edited:
Thanks mate :) i will be in contact within the next month, alot of work on atm so theres a hault on the car work atm lol

also use the 2.1 injectors, and use a 306 hdi gearbox, it will fit :)

i've seen a 2.1 xud running 195 hp, there's a video on you tube, it runs a type of mitsubishi turbo,

also a helix clutch will be required

What a lot of effort when a 2.2 HDi will deliver the same power with a remap alone.

Yeah I know, however some parts can be interchanged, I know a chap who used a set of HDi rods in his xud engine and i know the gearboxes can be interchanged, just not on the 2.2 thats a completely new design where as the first hdi's are loosely based on the xud's

It's a shame the 2.2 is so hard to find. It was never a big seller (especially the saloon 4dr which I had) simply because it was overpriced. They came loaded with kit though.

Brilliant 3yr old purchase when I got mine in early 2005. Savage depreciation cost the first owner a packet, poor sod.

I can imagin, also some to mention that the stdci mondeo engine is the same I believe all be it in a higher standard tune about 150 hp I think, but I don't see why you couldn't use that,

but anyways, also something to note as well I would get some forged rods out of a 2.0 hdi for this and rebuild trust me it will be worth the effort I've seen plenty of people who have blowen holes in there block because of the power, the hdi rods and good for up to 230 hp and I doubt you would get that much

THe Mondeo ST engine is very similar - it's a later and improved version of the 406 2.2 HDi motor. They are unbelievably quick with a remap/

While we are on the subject paul, I've been trawling auto trader and you can get 2.2 hdi 406's for £1500-£2000!!
not top spec though but they don't need to be, buying a whole 406 with engine would be ideal to do this conversion due to the fact I know of only one other person who has done it won't share the details
Sounds extremely temping to me now,

I saw one for just under £2000 with about 80k on it

As far as I know they only did it in GTX and Executive trim until the SE model came on the scene. All have full electric adjust front seats, Harman Kardon/JBL audio, auto wipers, auto lights, auto mirror dippers etc etc. Perhaps this is one reason for the 406s bloated bodyweight. They are very durable and protective in collisions as well.

If you can get one for £1500 make absolutely certain the engine is sound.

The engine should pull very strongly in all gears and rev cleanly to 5000+ RPM. There should be almost no discernible lag or latency.

There should be no smoke at all from the exhaust since all 2.2 HDi models have a particle filter.

No warning lights should be showing during normal operation. Also no messages on the cental MFD.

During general driving the engine should be silky smooth and very hushed indeed with no vibration at all. Any vibration is indicative of a failing dual mass flywheel. These are expensive.

Last edited:
I'll bare that in mind, if I fit it in a 306 I doubt I would use all the emissions control,
but it would be good to have the whole car so you can see how the wiring fit together

I dare say the ecu would put up a fight, and I might have to have it unlocked and some one the features bypassed like the EGR system and the particulate regeneration etc, also the immobiliser

and if it does have a harman kardon stereo then that might find it's way into my 306 (one way or another), I could try and "botch" it in with my pioneer equipment

take a look:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/1/postcode/ws66lr/radius/1501?logcode=p

Last edited:
The head unit is Clarion, but the speakers and power amps in the top models are of Harman Kardon manufacture (actually labelled jbl).

You will need the ECU and a lot of wiring to accomodate the engine's interface.

Or, maybe, just keep the 406 as it is - get a good tuner and it'll see a comfortable 190bhp and over 320lbft with a remap alone.

It is much heavier than a 306 though, but they are very well tooled up with equipment, very comfortable and very hushed on the move.

They're also (think I already said already) very sturdy and very protective in a collision.

true and you should know ;)

but where's the fun in that? I do like 406's but I love 306's so even thought it will be a lot of effort, it will be worth it :)

true and you should know ;)

but where's the fun in that? I do like 406's but I love 306's so even thought it will be a lot of effort, it will be worth it :)

I do know that [the 406 is very protective] sadly, I found out last year.

As and when I really need to consider buying another car I probably won't buy another 406. Simply because they're too old now as a model/range.

At the moment we have no need for a second car, so we haven't bought one. I drive very infrequently at the moment.

However, A 306 with a remapped DW12TED4 engine will go very nicely indeed.