Considering an Engine swap on my 406

Reshan

Car
Peugeot 406 HDi
Hi there.....
I presently have an HDi 2.0 and I wish to swap it to a petrol engine....
Is it possible, well should be.....:bigsmile:
and wish to know what additional things that needs to be taken into consideration because I am presently running the late 406 that is in the year 2002 and they are damned electronics....

wish to know about the electronics also, if BSI need to be changed, thnigs like that....
and also what are the engines that do fit well in the 406 apart from the stock ones....I means from other car make.....
wants to have an engine that is moddable and won't deceive me on the road...one that is quick also.....
that is something that is fully moddable.......

was considering about the SRi turbo or even please allow me...
....the famous :blink::blink: Vtec engine :blink: from honda .......

because I have heard someone swaping a stock engine of a 406 to a citroen 2000 engine and it realy works well.....

after that wish to consider modding the petrol engine and do sugggest me some mods that can be done also.........
thks for reading..........

welcome to the site.
starters swapping petrol to diesel. wouldnt bother as its too much work. engine, wiring loom, ECU, fuel tank, fuel pumps, etc,etc,etc.
youd honestly be cheaper going out and buying the car itself.

swapping engines between citreon and pug should be easy enough as there the same.

welcome to the site.
starters swapping petrol to diesel. wouldnt bother as its too much work. engine, wiring loom, ECU, fuel tank, fuel pumps, etc,etc,etc.
youd honestly be cheaper going out and buying the car itself.

swapping engines between citreon and pug should be easy enough as there the same.

Mate you got the wrong end of the stick? He wants to swap from diesel to petrol buddy.

Right buddy what sort of budget are you looking at? And also who will be doing the work? Whatever engine you decide to drop in you may want to think about buying a whole car with the engine still in rather than buying bits separate. It will be a monster of a job though so bare this in mind also.

infact what happened, I was a diesel fan but I've seen that they don't revs at too high speed also...
this is why was thinking about the swap.....
Presently, I was thinking about the famous MI16 engine from big brother, I mean the 405...
:D

Budget isnt a problem a problem in itself as dad will finance that...
well.....
Which engine do you think will best suit the 406 with little amount of job to be done....
I need an engine for performance....
and I have still not an answer for the ECU thing....
because that my problem now.....
from the injectors these a lot of wires that head to the ECU.....
this is why was wondering more about the ECU......

and ya...
can you explain me more about the swapping process.....
Well why I don't want to buy another car is one thing....
its because I really love the 406....
Vry vry nice car....
only thing is the engine..
grrrrr...

infact what happened, I was a diesel fan but I've seen that they don't revs at too high speed also...
this is why was thinking about the swap.....
Presently, I was thinking about the famous MI16 engine from big brother, I mean the 405...
:D

Budget isnt a problem a problem in itself as dad will finance that...
well.....
Which engine do you think will best suit the 406 with little amount of job to be done....
I need an engine for performance....
and I have still not an answer for the ECU thing....
because that my problem now.....
from the injectors these a lot of wires that head to the ECU.....
this is why was wondering more about the ECU......

and ya...
can you explain me more about the swapping process.....
Well why I don't want to buy another car is one thing....
its because I really love the 406....
Vry vry nice car....
only thing is the engine..
grrrrr...

If budget isn't an issue then you have a massive choice. It all depends on how much you want to be spending.
What are you aiming for here?
I'm unsure as to what engines actually fit without too much work i'd imagine not many. Doing and engine swap is a massive task there is a whole range of things to consider. You would probably be better buying a car whole as a donor because you will prob need alot of other things off it besides the engine. You may also have to have things custom built too.
For tunability and power why not source a SR20DET lump from a Nissan 200sx or Pulsar/Sunny GTi-r.

Ok......
about the support etc...
will it fit...
guess that I will nees to change the ECU also....
ok....
around how much will it cost and ya does it have the ECU thing....

Ok......
about the support etc...
will it fit...
guess that I will nees to change the ECU also....
ok....
around how much will it cost and ya does it have the ECU thing....

Most engines now days have an Ecu so yes. I have no idea if it will fit or not.
Who will be doing the swap?

am from mauritius....
so wii oft for concept car...
think they are qualified for that job....

Stick a 2.2 HDi in it and get it remapped. The engine code is DW12TED4. Alternatively just buy a whole 2.2 HDi 406 and keep the car intact.

Stick a 2.2 HDi in it and get it remapped. The engine code is DW12TED4. Alternatively just buy a whole 2.2 HDi 406 and keep the car intact.

HDi fun......
was looking for something where i could get performance and better acceleration because so far i think dat diesel engines revs at much slower rate than petrol ones....

anyways.....
how the 2.2 differs from the 2.0 one....
and will i get better performance out of it
because a frnd of mine has a 2.2HDi engine pending which is in vry good state...
he got it swapped with a vts 2.0 one...really nice...
this is why....
consider tht i already have the engine and wish to know some details about that.....

A remapped 2.2 HDi 406 will easily out accelerate a naturally aspirated petrol 2.0 one.

Mine's running 192bhp with over 320 lbft of torque and it's bloody quick.

There was, however a 2.0i petrol turbo model for some countries which, I think, was worth 150bhp in standard tune.

A remapped 2.2 HDi 406 will easily out accelerate a naturally aspirated petrol 2.0 one.

Mine's running 192bhp with over 320 lbft of torque and it's bloody quick.

There was, however a 2.0i petrol turbo model for some countries which, I think, was worth 150bhp in standard tune.

So then just stick a 2.0i petrol turbo in there then. I really don't see the point in changing one diesel to a slightly bigger diesel. I'd just go for the petrol turbo route. Either way it's gonna be costly but a petrol turbo will grin more grin factor IMO.

So then just stick a 2.0i petrol turbo in there then. I really don't see the point in changing one diesel to a slightly bigger diesel. I'd just go for the petrol turbo route. Either way it's gonna be costly but a petrol turbo will grin more grin factor IMO.

The 2.2 diesel is very different to the 2.0 litre one. Far more than just 200cc extra swept volume.

I don't think that the 2.0i turbo petrol will tune as easily as the 2.2 diesel.

And the diesel will certainly trounce it for in gear shove.

Don't get me wrong HDi I understand what your saying and it has been proved in BTTC for example and WTCC with the Seat Td running and winning. But IMO a petrol engine would be better and I still think it would be more tunable than just about any 2.2 tractor. It may cost a bit more to get those extra ponies but they are there and with the right 2 litre petrol turbo then the limits are only the size of your wallet.

I know - you should see the 406 Coupe owners' club site :)

4 cylinder diesels have really got good though. Mine's an overkill one, even for it's 2001/2002 model year origins. PSA set out to change the world's perception of 4 cylinder diesel engines at the time, and succeeded in doing so in my opinion.

The 2.2 HDi is very different to the 2.0 HDi. Much more than just 200cc extra swept volume.

It is a twin cam 16 valve engine with twin balancer shafts, hydraulic engine mounts, dual mass flywheel, damper on crank pulley nose, variable vane turbo and even higher fuel pressures than the 2.0 HDi, for example.

It really is very hard to determine that it's a four cylinder engine, never mind a diesel one. It's the same lump that went in the Jag X type 2.2d.

Peugeot-Citroen tuned it at a low 136PS from the factory, but still 235lbft was on offer.

The remap suits it perfectly and gives it sparkling performance without denting fuel economy.

I know I keep on about midrange acceleration but 0-62mph is easily achieved in under 8 seconds so it's not bad off the line in reality.

I think it's a good prospect for tuning, you could go further with a hybrid turbo and some extra cooling and get close to 250bhp. Sadly, this all gets very costly, hence my reasons for not bothering.

No-one who's driven it has exactly complained about the performance, to put it gently. Most are staggered by the massive pull in third, fourth and fifth.

ya..ok...
heard that the 2.2HDi one was very different one...
but still my point was to swap from a diesel to a petrol one....
sp HDIfun...
you are recomending me to go for the 2.2HDi one...
or i thought about the V6 3.0 one...for the peugeot 406 coupe..
will it fit ma pug......
or should I go for the 2.2HDi one.....

The V6 will fit. The later ones are 24 valve units and are lovely.

A remapped 2.2HDi will outpull a V6 gear for gear but you won't have that lovely V6 snarl.

Not that the 2.2s are loud. If anything they're too quiet.

There are stories of V6 petrols being tuned to 250bhp so if you want to spend money then the V6 is for you.

I actually like having a quick diesel simply for the surprise factor.

The V6 will fit. The later ones are 24 valve units and are lovely.

A remapped 2.2HDi will outpull a V6 gear for gear but you won't have that lovely V6 snarl.

Not that the 2.2s are loud. If anything they're too quiet.

There are stories of V6 petrols being tuned to 250bhp so if you want to spend money then the V6 is for you.

I actually like having a quick diesel simply for the surprise factor.

I would opt for the V6 petrol myself. And the general rule about bhp is about 100 bhp per litre so in theory you could easily get 300bhp out of the 3.0 V6.
Slap a couple of Turbo's in there as well and it'll be rapid.

If you could set up a 'cross-pollination' twin turbo configuration then you'd have one heck of a car. There's lots of other work besides though. And there's not a lot of room under the bonnet of 406's. Mine's stuffed to the gills and it's only a 4 cylinder model. But ------ as you say, it'sfood for thought.

If you could set up a 'cross-pollination' twin turbo configuration then you'd have one heck of a car. There's lots of other work besides though. And there's not a lot of room under the bonnet of 406's. Mine's stuffed to the gills and it's only a 4 cylinder model. But ------ as you say, it'sfood for thought.

You know the old saying mate. "Where there's a will there's a way".

Intercoolers on the bonnet lid perhaps?

Those V6 motors are enormous despite being of all alloy construction. Perhaps our man should send an EMail to Mr Jobling at Pug1Off in Brackley. He's the master of the engine transplant ops. He is, of course, completely bonkers. You'd 'ave to be to fit a pair of V6s in 306!

Intercoolers on the bonnet lid perhaps?

Those V6 motors are enormous despite being of all alloy construction. Perhaps our man should send an EMail to Mr Jobling at Pug1Off in Brackley. He's the master of the engine transplant ops. He is, of course, completely bonkers. You'd 'ave to be to fit a pair of V6s in 306!

I've seen the one your talking about. Complete with Nitrous too. I like it lots :bigsmile::bigsmile:

It is a monster of a car. It only runs on one engine on the road and the nitrous is disabled, both for legal reasons.

It is, however, very very noisy and very very uncomfortable.

Matt Jobling has driven it to Dover and across France on occasions for a couple of meets.

I admire him; I couldn't cope with that. I'd have to put the thing on a trailer and tow it.

He's worth knowing though, a veritable fountain of knowledge.

ya.....
heard that the V6 also are monsters...
but can you tell me more about MR Jobling.....
perhaps he can help me...

and ya comparing the V6 to the 2.2HDi one....
the Hdi one consumes less fuel... :D

Now this is something I can't understand. Maybe it's why I like petrol I dunno? But why would you be even thinking about Mpg if you want a better performing engine? Don't get me wrong I know the 2.2 Hdi is a good engine as my friend HDi keeps reminding me.;)
But if your after performance out of an engine you shouldn't be worried about Mpg in my opinion.

But the HDi with a map (which is very cost effective) is quicker than the V6 anyway. And look at the cost of changing the whole car to accomodate a petrol engine.

If V6 is the way the go and buy one outright.

I have tried this, ie. racing the V6 against my 2.2 HDi and the diesel actually made quicker progress.

When I talk about midrange I don't just mean at 30-40 mph. It pulls very hard indeed in fourth so you can play around on twisty A roads comfortably leaving one bend at 40mph and having to brake down from over 90 for the next one you're approaching.

The V6 would have to be screamed in second from 40-60, then snatch third and even then probably do little more than keep pace.

Let's also add this:

turbonutter says that if you're interested in performance then you shouldn't worry about MPG.

How about this: If you're interested in performance then you shouldn't worry about the type of fuel!

Last edited:
Buddy thats not the point i'm trying to make. I mean if you wanted to change the engine for more performance then why would you be worried about fuel consumption? It doesn't make sense. It's like going and buying an Brabus or something and expecting it to be great on fuel.

If you're interested in performance then why worry about the type of fuel you fill the tank with?

No thats still not what i'm on about buddy. Regardly of fuel type. Why if your want more performance would you be worrying about fuel consumtion? I just don't get it?

If you read my posts over the last 24 months or so you'll see that I repeatedly state that you shouldn't buy a diesel car for economy alone. Nor should you buy petrol and disregard diesel if performance is your goal.

So what is your point?

Aaawwww man, I freakin' love the TN and HDi show! More popcorn!

It's a good 'un.

TN69 and myself (HDi) actually get on very well indeed.

It's not staged at all but both know where each other is likely to present their next post, statement, or protest. And that's the making of a good show.

If you read my posts over the last 24 months or so you'll see that I repeatedly state that you shouldn't buy a diesel car for economy alone. Nor should you buy petrol and disregard diesel if performance is your goal.

So what is your point?

All i'm saying I don't understand why reeshan is wanting a better performing engine but still worried about MPG. I don't get it. I'm not saying anything about which fuel to use I just don't get why you would want performance out of an engine but still be thinking about economy.