Exactly how many mods have you done to your car ?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Well over the years I have done so many I thought that there should be a list that can be given to my son when he finally inherits my car.
MOTOR
Bored and stroked from 2 to 2.3 litre
Forged pistons and rods.
Delete balance shafts
Balanced rotating assembly
Custom billet steel flywheel
Changed from single cam to twin cam.
Ported head
Kelford 264/270 cams and springs
ARP head studs
ARP mains studs
MLS head gasket
Inlet and exhaust manifolds port matched
larger throttle body
Thermal insulating inlet manifold gasket
1000 injectors
Bosch 044 fuel pump
Custom split pulse exhaust manifold
Turbosmart ext wastegate
Garrett GT3076R twin scroll turbo with V band turbine housing on 20psi
Turbo smart bleed valve
Full 3 inch exhaust system
4 LS3 coils
Haltec computer

TRANSMISSION
Solid centre clutch
RX7 gearbox
Short shifter
3.9 LSD

SUSPENSION
Custom coilovers all round
Custom spring rates all round
Corner weighted so spring heights altered for better F-R balance
Koni dampers with custom settings
Front roll centers adjusted with 25mm spacers
Rear roll centre adjusted via an FIA approved mod
Custom rear adj sway bar
Custom front strut brace
Polly bushes everywhere
Custom rear alloy X member to body bush prevent diff moving to eliminate wheel tramp

BRAKES

Custom mounts for 300 mm diameter S2000 front discs
4 piston Sumotomo calipers
Stock rear discs
Willwood bias adjuster
Stainless steel braided hoses
Bendix race pads
Ducted air from front spoiler to centre of discs

COOLING
Larger capacity v8 radiator core
Hi flow thermostat
Custom front mount 600x300x50 mm intercooler

WHEELS
9 17 x 7 inch all with semi slick tyres

BODY

Early JA bonnet with Sierra vents to assist evacuating hot under bonnet air and additional security via bonnet pins
Replaced 1 piece rubber rear spoiler with later model 3 piece wing
Aftermarket front spoiler with vents for brake duct hose

I'm sure to have overlooked something

Last edited:
Ermmm.... None, by comparison to that list!

18x8.5 inch BK wheels
Headlights changed to crystal clear units (not much change to look at but the light scatter is better).
Side repeaters changed to crystal clear units (changed from the orange, which I really hate).
Cold air intake box.
3 inch, de-cat, exhaust.
Remapped to around 300bhp. Cant recall the boost pressure...
Rust removed from rear.

That's quite a list!

Remap, Alloy wheels, LED rear lights, Suspension tweaks - just don't have the money or time for anything major nowadays.

Don't even want to think about what all that has cost over the years :eek: and there has been many highs and lows but it has been a learning curve and character building experience.

On 1 occasion I had just had the original 2 litre single cam bored and stroked and remapped to app 320 hp ATW by a supposed gun tuner and was at the track testing my new big brake upgrade at app 220kph only to have it damaged by detonation and ended up with scored bores,bent valves damaged turbo etc by the spark plugs electrodes that were no longer on them.

I was shattered as the motor had done less than 2500 klm's and it sat in my shed for months till I found my new engine builder and we did a bit of bartering and I did repairs on his house while he built the motor,installed and tuned it and I was only charged for parts and machining.|B

I had to get a new block but were able to save the crank,rods and pistons and they are still in the twin cam and going strong |B

It would be a lot easier to say what hadnt been modded on the Stagea -
windscreen
windows
roof lining
glove box
windscreen wiper motor
door handles
front side lights
sun roofs
driveshafts (surprisingly )
think thats about all that is original

IMO my mods are done properly in a workmanlike manner but not up to show standards that would require a higher budget than was available at the time.

I guess in the 14 years I've had the MG the list has grown and parts changed have been upgraded again! I did start compiling a list but didn't keep it going. More a case of not wanting to be reminded of how much I have spent or wasted.
And there not being enough paper!

just managed to find a new mod B) - I have swopped the old RB coilpacks and ignition amplifier for modern coilpacks from NZ . kit comes with revised loom and mounting plates

I looked over mine the other day, and the only things still original on the car is what's left of the shell and the rear hatch (and even that's had the glass replaced with makrolon)

That's quite a parts list. I've spent about £2000 on small engine mods, brake and suspension bushes, so just really starting out in the grand scheme of things.