Which are the best oil brands to use

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that some of the additives work as claimed but few have had their claims tested by a truly independent body to confirm their advertised benefits.

There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that some of the additives work as claimed but few have had their claims tested by a truly independent body to confirm their advertised benefits.

I suspect that most additives are harmless. I also suspect that most additives are not beneficial either. Yet I do use fuel additives. Periodically. To solve a problem I don't have.

Do they work? I really don't know. My cars seem to work very well but that's also anecdotal.

I cannot prove a negative.

It's like being offered the opportunity to prove than one of twelve haystacks might not contain a needle.

I suspect that most additives are harmless. I also suspect that most additives are not beneficial either. Yet I do use fuel additives. Periodically. To solve a problem I don't have.

Do they work? I really don't know. My cars seem to work very well but that's also anecdotal.

I cannot prove a negative.

It's like being offered the opportunity to prove than one of twelve haystacks might not contain a needle.

I use additives to hopefully prevent a problem starting.

I would hazard a wild guess and say that you would have carefully researched the product used before it went into your tank ;) :)

Last edited:
I use additives to hopefully prevent a problem starting.

I would hazard a wild guess and say that you would have carefully researched the product used before it went into your tank ;) :)

I don't use oil additives as I am confident that the stuff I use is sufficient. I haven't yet had engine problems and I run my cars to high mileages. They all walk through the UK MoT emissions tests. Contrarily, I DO use fuel additives. Quite extensively - in the form of Millers Diesel Power Ecomax. I know it's not the in-house additive of choice. Though I have previously used those, too.

The fuel additive would help slow/stop carbon build up and keep the injectors clean all of which helps pass the MoT test.

FWIW Pro Ma have documented before and after pics showing that what I said actually happens and testing was carried out by an independent government university and signed off by qualified engineers.
A good diesel fuel additive also stops the diesel bug, lubricates fuel pumps and encapsulates water so it can go thru the combustion process and out the exhaust.

I have the complete result in my files.

IMO their grease is the best anti friction grease that I have come across to date and have personally witnessed the test 1on1 with only a match head of PM grease being applied and app 120 lbs of force unable to stop the motor.

http://promaproducts.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/pro-ma-dt5-diesel-fuel-treatment-water.html

Last edited:
So does the Millers stuff have the dispenser neck thing. I do not like handling the stuff though. It is very noxious, not in a spirit or alcoholic despite it's tap water-like viscosity.

I've been using it since 2005, in both a 1.9D (naturally aspirated!!) Seat and a fairly aggressively remapped 2.2 HDi Peugeot. Latterly in the 2.0 TDi Passat.

I have always been an advocate of fuel additives, used conservatively. I cannot comment upon effectiveness as I have never had fuel system related problems but I'm with TCJ, it probably does help offset the risk of a problem occurring.

I've never had an engine problem to be fair, and I run my cars to high mileages and drive them purposefully.

jeez, didn't know Pro Ma were still around, hate small country towns at times :(
used their products in the late 80's early 90's, weren't too bad at all :D

Fuel varies widely across the world. BMW had some problems with high sulphur unleaded in the M52 engines. The Nikasil bore liners had a propensity to corrode.

I honestly don't know which service to take my car when it's time to get my oil change, but I will say that I do go to Castrol maily because it's 5 minutes away from where I live. Never had a problem from them.

As long as you are using a quality brand like Castrol, Havoline and Pennzoil, you car will be ok.

I don't know why people are cheap on oil, but I always use full synthetic, and my last 50k miles I've used nothing but Amsoil Signature Series 5w20 in my car. Stuff is amazing, I highly recommend it!

I use Mobil1's full synthetic oil in my wife's car and I also recommend that. Never used Castrol or had someone else change my oil. I worked in a diesel shop for years and Amsoil is what we always recommended so I used it too.

Budget / cheap home brand oils may meet the specs JUST but will fall below spec after a few miles due to the low additive package numbers and or the quality of the add package ingredients.

When it comes down to it paying a few bucks more for a quality well known brand is cheap insurance IMO

I wasn't suggesting that Fuchs is the best, or even the best for me. Just saying that I use it and it seems to work OK. I have previously used Shell, Castrol, Gulf, Mobil, MIllers, AMSOIL etc and they all seem to do the job required of them. I haven't yet had an engine failure.
hi just notice your hdi fun, are you running a hdi at all, if so any mods etc...

Castrol is the recommended oil for vag so we use it for road cars but my experience has found that liqui moly is a very good lubricant and my e46 m3 ran perfectly on it