A3 1.9tdi '08 tune

AudiA3man

Car
Audi A3 1.9tdi '08
Hey guys,

I'm all the way from Norway, so you have to excuse me if my language is subpar. Just tuned my car a little, did a simple remap where a dude changed the software of the "brain". I'm not sure what exact remap he used. It worked fine for the first week. Could easily notice the extra torque. My a3 is org a 105bhp and the guy said he could boost it to 135/140bhp and something like 230 newton.

But yesterday something in the engine started making a screeching noise. The sound intensifies apparently when holding and releasing the throttle quickly. I haven't changed anything under the hood, I wasn't under the impression that I needed to for a simple remapping. Should I have changed the turbo? Is the turbo broken? Is it a common thing that a boost like this shortens the lifespan of the turbo? I've only owned the car for 2-3 days, but driven it quite alot. Not even violently, just testing it up a tunnel. Otherwise driving it nicely as I was told the biggest improvement of the remap would come between 1500 and 2000 RMP. Noone that I talk to has had any experience with this kind of noise. It's hard to explain it in writing :/

Hoping for some answers from pro's here :)

Best regards,
Magnus

Welcome to TorqueCars!

Are you engaging the clutch when holding the throttle? If so sounds to me like the clutch release bearing is shot.

Welcome to TorqueCars!

Are you engaging the clutch when holding the throttle? If so sounds to me like the clutch release bearing is shot.

Not engaging the clutch perse, but i can hear the sound when i shift as well. I hear it best when park ed and i lift the#!hood and throttle on/off in neutral.

or it could be something as simple as a loose auxiliary belt? Does it do it when you are in neutral?

Yeah mate, it sure does. In fact, thats when i hear it best. Pop the hood, try to locate where the sound comes from, and just on/off throttle in neutral. Seems to be coming from the top part of the engine, but a little hard to tell. Auxiliary belt sound plausible, but the belt to the dynamo (dont know if you say dynamo in Britain), seemed tight atleast. Thanks for all the troubleshooting help guys, keep ideas coming. Hope it's not the turbo..

Greetings AudiA3man and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

Yeah mate, it sure does. In fact, thats when i hear it best. Pop the hood, try to locate where the sound comes from, and just on/off throttle in neutral. Seems to be coming from the top part of the engine, but a little hard to tell. Auxiliary belt sound plausible, but the belt to the dynamo (dont know if you say dynamo in Britain), seemed tight atleast. Thanks for all the troubleshooting help guys, keep ideas coming. Hope it's not the turbo..

Howdo - dynamo is the word we use for the old-fashioned device that just produces DC current. The word for what cars have nowadays is an alternator. This produces AC current and is much more reliable.

I think if your turbo was gone you'd know, white smoke, no power.

Howdo - dynamo is the word we use for the old-fashioned device that just produces DC current. The word for what cars have nowadays is an alternator. This produces AC current and is much more reliable.

I think if your turbo was gone you'd know, white smoke, no power.

Yeah, absolutely agree with you when it comes to the turbo, i dont think its busted atm either. But could this be an indication of the car not handling the remap? My thoughts were that it wouldnt hurt anything as the engine is made for a lot more than 105bhp. Is there anything i should change underneath the hood or otherwise after a remap to 135/140bhp? I just dont wanna hurt the car, but at the same time i"d like the extra torque ;)

Because the car has run smoothly the first 97k km. And i get my hands on it, tune it and boom! Hehe :) but i guess a hose or a belt or bearing could always bust, regardless of tune. Or? :) should i remap back to Audi original? :/