Which Variant?

Hangar 18

Wrench Pro
Car
Peugeot 405 GLX
I'm looking at getting a Bora 130PD- mainly going to be for driving enjoyment- for instance I plan on remapping, replacing exhaust & intake and putting TT alloys on (perhaps)- which of the variants of the 130 tdi should I look at buying?
It seems like a lot of the features are optional extras... I'm looking toward the Sport type at the moment- because that seems to be the only one that comes in black (which I think suites the Bora best)

Any help would be brilliant!

Black does look good. I'd say the benefits of a sports exhaust and induction kit on a Diesel are questionable but a remap would make a stunning difference and probably cost a fair bit less than your other two mods.

Did the Bora get the 150bhp PD engine? (It would be a shame if it didn't)

Yes, it did get the 150 but amongst mk 4 owners the 130 is believed to be the best engine. The Sport has a mildly stiffer suspension but it's not worth paying the extra over an SE for instance. I'd get the best specced you can then stick some aftermarket shocks and springs on, go nicely with some 17inch wheels. Wayne's right, exhausts and IKs can make a bit of difference but tbh you're best off just sticking a cheap but decent generic map on like mine.

Yes, it did get the 150 but amongst mk 4 owners the 130 is believed to be the best engine. The Sport has a mildly stiffer suspension but it's not worth paying the extra over an SE for instance. I'd get the best specced you can then stick some aftermarket shocks and springs on, go nicely with some 17inch wheels. Wayne's right, exhausts and IKs can make a bit of difference but tbh you're best off just sticking a cheap but decent generic map on like mine.

Well you reckon you can have a £125 remap arranged- I first need to decide on a spec and save up I guess!- I'll be putting a milltek resonated exhaust on- and a de-cat. not sure about getting a BMC enclosed induction unit at all... I know that diesels are bottle necked by fuel not air like a petrol engine.
Apart from that- I think the standard IC is satisfactory for a decent re-map before any FMIC is necessary!

As for shocks- I've been looking at the JOM coilovers- on a performance site I've been looking for- they shift for £170 THE SET! normally coilovers are that much a corner xD!

Wheels- been looking at others' examples- the A5 coupe alloys and TT alloys certainly look the part- all compatible I'm assuming?

Most Audi wheels will fit most Audis, just check the clearance in the arches and the offset and PCD and make sure you have enough clearance around the brakes (which is only likely to be an issue if you upgrade to larger brake discs.)

Well you reckon you can have a £125 remap arranged- I first need to decide on a spec and save up I guess!- I'll be putting a milltek resonated exhaust on- and a de-cat. not sure about getting a BMC enclosed induction unit at all... I know that diesels are bottle necked by fuel not air like a petrol engine.
Apart from that- I think the standard IC is satisfactory for a decent re-map before any FMIC is necessary!

As for shocks- I've been looking at the JOM coilovers- on a performance site I've been looking for- they shift for £170 THE SET! normally coilovers are that much a corner xD!

Wheels- been looking at others' examples- the A5 coupe alloys and TT alloys certainly look the part- all compatible I'm assuming?

well i have the jamex version of the jom 1's and for £170 they are better if your standard suspension is dead! but tbh save up for a better suspension i wish i had;)

I've got JOM shocks and springs, not coilovers but I've heard they're good. JOM are a German firm not know much here yet. Did you see them on dpmperformance? Mine lower by 30mm which was enough for me, plus they stiffen the ride, but they don't make it spine-shatteringly hard, which was also what I wanted. If you lower and have mudflaps you'll probably want to remove them, mine kept scraping on speedbumps. BMC probably worth it, I've had them and they're good. Someone recommended these -
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/remote-carbon-fibre-canister-air-filter--carbfil-861-p.asp
but I've never used them.
Yea, you don't have to worry too much about moving/changing the IC unless you're going for mental power gains.

Dunno about wheels tbh.

Remap, PM a user called Kalu on http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/, he's in Hemel so not that far from you. I came down from Rugby and it was worth it. If you buy a Sport you get things like miles to empty on the clocks as standard, but if you get an SE he can configure it for you. He did that for me, plus autolocking/unlocking doors, illuminated needles and full window closure from the remote.

I've got JOM shocks and springs, not coilovers but I've heard they're good. JOM are a German firm not know much here yet. Did you see them on dpmperformance? Mine lower by 30mm which was enough for me, plus they stiffen the ride, but they don't make it spine-shatteringly hard, which was also what I wanted. If you lower and have mudflaps you'll probably want to remove them, mine kept scraping on speedbumps. BMC probably worth it, I've had them and they're good. Someone recommended these -
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/remote-carbon-fibre-canister-air-filter--carbfil-861-p.asp
but I've never used them.
Yea, you don't have to worry too much about moving/changing the IC unless you're going for mental power gains.

Dunno about wheels tbh.

Remap, PM a user called Kalu on http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/, he's in Hemel so not that far from you. I came down from Rugby and it was worth it. If you buy a Sport you get things like miles to empty on the clocks as standard, but if you get an SE he can configure it for you. He did that for me, plus autolocking/unlocking doors, illuminated needles and full window closure from the remote.

Yea saw them up there on special offer! just what I guess I'll be looking for when Bora time comes round- but suspension will be one of the last things that i bother upgrading

I think that even though diesels aren't particuarly air hungry- it's only going to mean cooler perhaps less turbulent air- so always a gain. That example there is very cheap :S I'll do some further reading before I decide anything like that!

I'll make sure to sign up on those forums- most of my google searches yield results on there. And so you can softmod the features from the sport into the SE? Damn... that's insane- It's not worth paying that extra £1000 at the moment then you reckon? I think i'll just have to see how quickly I can save up! and if I can resist an SE when I get to the £2500 benchmark :D!

ok TT and A/S3 are only audi wheels that fit without adaptor - i have the TT sport ones on.

JOM suspension is cheap for a reason, alot say its great but then down the line it starts to creek alot.

the BMC sounds fantastic, again on the petrol ;), the cat back isnt essential as the OEM is pretty free flowing. the downpipe and cat are a different storry

as for what model, really does it matter that much if your going to be changing most of it? suspension, wheels, display and tacky wooden trim

edit
Sports suspension is 15mm lower than the standard, helps a bit in the corners, dunno what the SE is like

ok TT and A/S3 are only audi wheels that fit without adaptor - i have the TT sport ones on.

JOM suspension is cheap for a reason, alot say its great but then down the line it starts to creek alot.

the BMC sounds fantastic, again on the petrol ;), the cat back isnt essential as the OEM is pretty free flowing. the downpipe and cat are a different storry

as for what model, really does it matter that much if your going to be changing most of it? suspension, wheels, display and tacky wooden trim

edit
Sports suspension is 15mm lower than the standard, helps a bit in the corners, dunno what the SE is like

Thanks a lot for that info mate- I'll make sure to remember that

and brilliant- I just wanted to be sure it wasn't anything more than skin deep bits- so i'll disregard that as an issue now ;D

sorry should say its only up Mk1 TT and earlier A/S3 both up to around 2004. the newer ones hav ethe 112x5 PCD, same as the later VWs, rather than the 100x5 or the bora

sorry should say its only up Mk1 TT and earlier A/S3 both up to around 2004. the newer ones hav ethe 112x5 PCD, same as the later VWs, rather than the 100x5 or the bora

Cheers for clearing that one up mate!
doubt I'll afford anything that new anyway ;) haha

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back