DIY tips & guides

Post your DIY tips hints and questions in here. This forum is for all GENERAL car related DIY tips. Model specific tips should be posted in the makes and models section.

Video guides

A selection of DIY instruction videos for all types of DIY job.
Threads
Threads
Hi All, Firstly, I apologise if this has been asked before, if so can you point me in the right direction? I have recently bought a new car (2012 MiTo QV) I recently noticed that a previous owner must of got a great big chip on the bonnet and tried to fix it. But looking at it, I feel they must of done it with their eyes closed or let a 5 year old do it. It is just terrible. The fact I have now noticed it, I now can't stop seeing it. It looks like they used to much touch up and it actually ran out of the chip and bubbled just below it. Do you have any advice, hints or tips on how I can possible remove the crap touch up and re do it better. Cheers Lindsay
My 2003 punto does not have an intermittent rear wipe and only one setting on the front . In my local scrappys there are some with the function an the stalk , so question is if I replace my stalk with a different one would I have the function ? I have read that it is the stalk that controls the functions . I have had a look on line and from what I can find out there is one wire missing between the stalk that has the function and one that has not . Can any one shed any light on this ? thanks for looking
Pics are to follow right now i am just writing it so i myself dont forget what i am doing! Things you need : - A socket set or similar to remove the wheel bolts (17mm) - A degreaser to clean the wheels - Various grit wet and dry or glass paper. - Masking tape (around 2 rolls) - Several sheets of newspaper - A dust brush or similar - 800ml of Primer (usually 2 cans) - 800ml of Paint - 800ml of Clear Lacquer Firstly, you need to remove the wheels from your car. If you have no replacement wheels, you need to put the car on axle stands. Follow the guidelines in the Haynes manual or find secure points on the car as otherwise you could cause damage to the underside of the car and possibly find the floor inside the car has been pushed up...
so i have recently got a aftermarket air filter which i which to fit to my renault clio 1.2 for the noise really. But not really sure how to go about it, the videos on youtube aren't very helpful because as far as i can tell i can't find a Filter box. so not sure where to begin.
i have a lorry air horn in my car with a 75l air tank hooked up for a reservoir. im currently refilling it by pluging into the main air line in the garage or at a service station with the tyre guage. iv looked around for 12v air compressors but cant find any reliable ones. im running the system at 120psi, big enough pressure. i once heard that an air-con pump can pump air. think i saw it on scrapheap challenge!?! is this true that it can pump air because there is one fitted on my car at the minute so all has to be done is some re-piping etc to get me away. any knowledge on this subject would be greatfully welcomed.
Hey my name's Chad I'm new to forums lol but I was considering buying the 2012 Scion Fr-s and am impressed by everything about it except for the 200 hp and 151 ft. lb of torque :amazed:. I don't know a lot about cars and was wondering what options I would have to raise the hp. I would be happy at 274 i would be amazed at 300+ i know about turbochargers and superchargers but there too expensive and require extra suspension etc. etc. please tell me what you're advice would be.:D
Greetings everyone! So as my title says I wanna add a supercharger to my car but it's not as simple as it sounds sooo I need some help :)) Sooo lemme tell y'all about my car, it's a mark 4 golf but it's an sdi, and it's super clean and as complete as possible and I absolutely love this car that I wouldn't want to see it go away but it's slow and engine swapping it isn't an option here cause that would prevent me from registering it legally (in Israel the new engine should be the same as the previous one aka same engine model number thingy "AQM") I thought of adding a turbo charger for it but that's rather pricy So some googling later I found out about the Aisin amr500 it's a small supercharger and they're pretty affordable on ebay and...
I am looking for a good platform to start out with. The VAG 1.8T is too expensive to ensure, so I am looking for a non turbo engine. To make it even more complicated I like to have the car look standard when you first take a look at the car. So no turbo kits or such things. I am not that old, so max 125 BHP. I know all the rules I just made makes it VERY hard to come up with some ideas for a car, but please tell about it ;) I do like the Corsa B since it's a small car, but I don't know how well it is for tuning... (Sorry my bad english)
I think lot of people would have gone through a DIY turbo job. So, why not post the details with pictures and how the build went. Would be an interesting read, beneficial and informative for others. Would help people choosing the right things and the path that has to be followed. :) It needn't be a success always, so failures can also be posted for the benefit of the beginners... Hope to learn a thing or two from the experts.. (I am not much into this myself, but want to learn a lot) Thanks..
This is actually a model specific question. And if at all possible, I'm looking for DETAILED answers. (also, I'm American and terrible at unit conversion, please try to use the American measurement, or at least give the name of the measurement you're using so I can locate a converter) And after finishing, I realized how long this was, so I decided to put a warning here that this is a very long and detailed post, but I will greatly appreciate everyone who takes the time to read through it and answer at least one of the questions here. I'm a rather adept "backyard mechanic", but not very well versed in performance upgrades and design. So I'm looking for a little designing a turbo system for my car. Here are the details. 1995 Honda...
hi guy`s im pumba from gwent lol im hoping for some advice. i have a 206 1.4 an is looking to convert it to a 2.0 gti engine,both cars are preplex 1.4 2000 an gti 1999.i have a whole gti as a donor car.if any one has done this or has any info id be very gratefull. im looking to see if any one can give me a list of what id need to change an what to look out for,so far this is what i think id need engine+box complete front subframe inc,brakes,legs sterring rack ecu an key chip,engine loom fuel pump rear axel(mines knaffed any how) dash clocks is this all i need or am i missing something also my mate owns a garage doing mechanics an electrics so will have the use of this :lol: thanks in advance guys
Got a squeaky boot when driving \Bpug 180. But cant for the life of you find the cause!!!! The 180 doesn't come with a spair wheel, so you get a repair kit , this kit comes in a small polystyrene box which is attached to the inside of the boot. Well thats your squeaky boot. Polystyrene box with polystyrene lid !!!!! Squeak squeak squeak. Drove me up the wall for months. :rofl:o_O
Lets begin with a hello, for I have just joined. I have the eclipse listed above, which comes stock with a 420A Chrysler engine... So no turbo right now. I am looking for ways to turbo this vehicle, for it would be my first turbocharged car. I am not sure if I should keep the Chrysler engine or swap to say a 4G63 mitsu engine to add turbos. I do know to keep the Chrysler engine I will need to rebuild it with stronger internals, I am sure I would melt the engine if I decided to take it to the strip and up the boost... I am open to any suggestion but I do not know where to begin with such project. I would like to have an interior boost control module to control the boost and air/fuel ratio so I can still get good gas millage and be able...
Hello all . Can anyone tell me if there is much diffrence between my 04 plate pug 206 gti and my friends 03 plate . So far all i can see is i have a esp button lol . And are all of the stearings this heavey . I just came from a golf gt tdi 115 that was easyer to stear than this .... any common faults i should be on the look out for ? Ive got a bit of juddering when pulling off in 1st gear i think maybe a bit of sliping of clutch ? But the car was sat for a while with a oil leak suposidly from the oil filter ? He had it fixed before he moted it . Maybe oil on clutch i dnt know i havent a clue really.... anyways thanks for looking at my post and thanks for any thoughts or feedback ..cheers virgin

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back